Smoking a turkey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
How long does it get smoked for? Assuming temps of about 225-250? I never smoked one and can't get my smoker as hot as my oven.

Depends on if you're doing a whole Turkey or just a breast. But across the board it should be about an hr per pound....

I like to do just the breast and place is above a pan with beer and citrus fruits in it....dang tasty

1 and 1/2 hours per pound is a general rule.... Be careful though I always inject my turkeys so they don't dry out and use only apple on poultry as it is really easy to over smoke!

This past Thanksgiving I hosted my family and made two turkeys. I did one roasted in the over and smoked the second one. I soaked the turkey in a beer brine for a couple of days before I put it on the smoker. I injected with a hot sauce/butter mixture and stuffed with some aromatics (sliced onion, celery, carrots, and oranges. I smoked with applewood at 225 until the temp in the thigh/breast area was around 165F. I took the bird off, wrapped in foil, then wrapped in a towel and let it rest in a cooler until we were ready to carve. The smoked bird was by far the favorite.

6861-turkey-beer-brine.jpg

6862-turkey-smoker.jpg

6863-turkey-about-come-off-smoker.jpg

This turkey was around 13 pounds. I brined it for 4 hours and got it on at 2 in the morning. It was around 20-30 degrees throughout the whole smoking time. I think it was about 2 pm when I saw it hit 160 degrees and it got pulled off at 5pm. It was just starting to dry out but not bad at all. Had someone else smoked it I wouldn't have been critical enough to notice. But it was still really good and next time I will probably plan for an hour per pound rather than an hour 15.

In my opinion, an hour per pound or more is way too long. 12 or so pounds is as large a turkey as you should try on a smoker, otherwise internal temperatures of the bird stay in the danger zone too long. One 12 pound turkey should take about 6 hours (if you do two at a time it will be another couple of hours) at 250F, about 30 minutes per pound. Outside temperature and wind may affect cooking times. I did 2 13 pound turkeys last thanksgiving and it took 8 or 9 hours. That's a lot of cold meat to put on at one time.

I have never had a 10 to 12 pound turkey take more than 6 hours on the grill and they have all been up to temp, juicy and tasted great. Too low and too slow with turkey will dry out the bird. I also quarter an apple or two and put it inside the bird to help keep it moist. Don't know if it actually helps or not, but I have never had a dry turkey.

Yeah, shouldn't take that long, and if you like the skin crispy, finish the last 30 min in the oven, or get your smoker temp up to ~375. I usually smoke poultry in the 275-300 range, it doesn't need to go "low and slow" poultry is already tender.

I made one this past thanks giving and it all depends on the side. A rule of thumb ive always heard is when the breast is 170 your good but then again you need to take into account that almost always it takes the dark meat longer to cook. To counter this, I left the turkey out prior to smoking with ziplock bags of ice on the breast...when i was done it ended up like being 172 with the thighs ringing in at 190.

Back