Having trouble finding a grain bag.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am switch gears a bit and dippin my toes in some BIAB. Recently purchased a 44qt Bayou pot and steamer setup and I'm in search of a good bag. First off, what mesh is considered standard and where can I get one? Seems like whenever I do any research you guys have all sown your own. SWMBO and I are sewing machine illiterate and I would much rather purchase one. Ideas please!

Yep 5 gallon paint strainer bag works great for about 10 lbs or so. After that you can pick up a "game" bag at one of the big Outdoors stores like Cabella. They will hold upwards of 30lbs.

The paint strainer bag might be too small. Not all paint strainer bags are equal. I just bought 3 that won't work for my setup.

The main idea is to have a bag that can hold all the grain and a way to keep it suspended in the water. A 5 gallon bag with an elastic top works good on my turkey fryer as it just fits the diameter but won't go clear to the bottom so I can add heat without melting the bag. If I had a large grain bill it wouldn't be large enough to hold the grain loosely. If the diameter of the kettle is too large so the elastic top won't fit around then you need to find a different way of supporting the bag. Making your own custom fit bag may be the best solution. Ask at a fabric store if they know someone who might sew one for you.

I have some excess voile. It works great, just close pin it around the top, no need to sew it to shape. PM me your address and I will ship it too you free (in the Christmas spirit).

$5 voile curtain fabric from Walmart. 100% nylon is the stuff you're looking for. Make a template, cut, and sew. Just make sure the top of the bag is big enough to fit around the outside of your pot and you'll be great. I put a drawstring in mine so I could hang it from the garage ceiling and let the whole thing drip a bit and make squeezing easier.

I am switch gears a bit and dippin my toes in some BIAB. Recently purchased a 44qt Bayou pot and steamer setup and I'm in search of a good bag. First off, what mesh is considered standard and where can I get one? Seems like whenever I do any research you guys have all sown your own. SWMBO and I are sewing machine illiterate and I would much rather purchase one. Ideas please!

I've got the same pot/steamer and a 5 gallon paint strainer bag from lowes works about perfectly to line the steamer basket.

Back