Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
So I am planning an Oatmeal Stout. Has anyone tried the all grain kit from AHS? I have read a couple recipes here, worked on a few of my own, and it seems cheaper just to buy the kit (either their version or the Samuel Smith's clone). Also, they don't offer this option, but I think I am going to use Danstar Nottingham dry yeast. Actually I plan on pitching this on top of the yeast cake from a Fat Tire clone (from AHS as well). I figure with a stout the yeast should not contribute to the flavor and nottingham would work.

thanks

Haven't tried their kit, but Nottingham should work fine. I've done a toasted oat stout a few times that comes out week. Has about a pound of flaked oats toasted in the oven at 350 for 20, turned in between, then set aside for three days to degas. Could probably double the oats if you really like the flavor/effect.

I haven't tried their kit, but it would be pretty hard to screw it up I think. Pitching it on that yeast cake will be perfect.

Thanks for your input. I thought the yeast would be fine. I didn't see any point in paying $6 extra for liquid when all I want is a clean fermenting yeast.

I read the reviews on AHS's website about the kit (their own and Samuel Smith's clone), looks like people have liked it. But, it might be more fun to use my own (well, modified from others) recipe, worth a couple extra bucks. I have a few weeks to decide before I order.

Thanks.

I used Nottingham too, it is sweeeeet yeast. I am starting a library of liquid yeasties. WLP300 and WLP 330 are my first. Re-using my original yeasties will save me BIG$$.

The Pol said:
I used Nottingham too, it is sweeeeet yeast. I am starting a library of liquid yeasties. WLP300 and WLP 330 are my first. Re-using my original yeasties will save me BIG$$.
I will probably use dry for beers that don't need the specific yeast. I see no reason to buy liquid, make a starter. . . I will use liquid when I need a specific strain (hefes, etc.). When I started I guess I just assumed that liquid was better for everything (because it is more expensive?).

Wow. I'm really sorry this took me so long to get. Things got crazy this week. But Here's the recipe if you are still interested.

.5 Chocolate Malt
.5 60L Crystal
1/8 Black Roasted Barley
1/8 Black Patent
1 Flaked Oats
1.75 Maris Otter

2.5 Amber Liquid Extract
3.5 Dark Liquid Extract

1 oz Magnum 60 Min

Mashed grains at 155 for 45 minutes. Collected first and second runnings, brought them to a boil, added extract. Brought wort to a boil, added hops, boiled for 60 minutes.
Cooled to 80 F. Pitched onto yeast cake of WL British Ale yeast, topped off to make 5.25 gallons.

Its been a little over 3 months for this one, and it seems like the bottles get better with every passing day. I have to say, I really want to keep making new and different beers, but its hard not to make this one again. Although next time I think I'll save my money and use a dry yeast.

Good Luck!
Andrew

Back