Number of batches from 20lb propane tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
Generally speaking, how many batches can I expect to get out of a 20lb propane tank. I know there are a number of variables like batch size and burner type, but just in general. Two? Three? More than that?

Cheers,

Dukester

I have never kept track. I guess it would depend on ambient temp and how vigorous of a boil you hold.
You might try weighing the cylinder before and after, subtract to find the amount used and divide into 20lbs.

I would guess at 6-8. :drunk:

I can get 4-6 depending on the above factors. Now that I've gone to electric HLT its closer to 6 and maybe even 7 during the summer and I don't need to have it cranked up.

I've been getting 6 - 8 but get my propane filled at a filling station which gives me about 15% more fill than what you get at Home Depot (cheaper as well). One thing I've found is the inconsistencies among filled propane tanks at Home Depot or grocery stores. I also turn my propane down once the wort reaches a boil, just enough to maintain the boil. You don't need to keep it at a full roar.

Thanks for the info guys. I knew I would get less with a lower ambient outside temp ( 45F out side right now) but at least now I know the ballpark.

Thanks much,

Dukester

I usually don't get more than 3 batches per tank. I always have a backup. Low outdoor temps seem to increase consumption. I've wondered if moving to a higher quality burner might improve efficiency. I currently use the bottom of the line Bayou Classic.

The Home Depot guys look at me like I'm nuts when I exchange tanks this time of the year. "Whaddya doin', barbecuing when it's 20 degrees out?"

I can tell the low temps in Portland have definately been affecting my time to boil. Thinking about adding an extra wind sheild around the burner and maybe some of whats referred to as NASA insulation in the VW community around the the upper two thirds of the keep the heat bleed off to a minimum.

Thanks all for the info. I've managed five batches from the tank. I'm guessing it's from my tendency for low roiling boil rather than a vigorous bubbling monster boil.

Good info and thanks again all!

Dukester

Could I bother you all to mention what kind of burner you use in your posts? It might make for more useful information for those reading.

I just got an SQ14 recently, and I hope to use it within the next week. I'll take a weight measurement before and after and report back when I do.

Dual 60k burners, I get around 4 batches using a converted cooler to mash. I always keep a backup handy. I use Uhaul and a local place that sells propane and propane accessories to fill...the prefilled are a joke...I'd rather have someone hook my tank up to a metered filler so I can see what is being filled and know I'm paying for, not to mention the metered prices are much better.

I only get little more than 2 batches using three burners similar to this.... http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=705399 One to heat HLT , One to heat MLT and one to boil . I'm doing 10 gallon batches.
So, are they that inefficent? Are the low pressure similar to SQ14 going to save gas? 4 plus batches per bottle is HUGE.
I'm interested in opinions , Thanks.

Back