Whiskey and coke in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colbysmt

Reaction score
I just ordered a starter kit and will soon be finding out if brewing beer is really as easy as it seems to be. I also ordered the kegging setup, wanting to avoid bottling any more than I have to. The question I have is this. Is it a good idea to have premixed whiskey and coke on tap in a soda keg? I drink Jim Beam and Diet Coke. A friend manages a convenience store and can get me diet coke syrup cheap. So, I figure dilute the syrup, mix in Beam and force carbonate. Will this work or am I about to ruin a half gallon bottle of Beam? I would love to make it work, but if not I guess it won't kill me to fetch the bottle and open a can each time. Hasn't yet anyway. Thanks for any advice.

Well there is no reason not to have the coke on tap. That's what alot of the kegs were originally used for.

I think I'd add the whiskey fresh each time though. I don't know if the stuff would mix correctly? you might end up with 400 glasses of coke and the last 50 of whiskey!

I dunno!

Another vote here for "I don't know". If it were me, I would definitely try it. Like orfy, I don't know if the alcohol would separate out or not. To test it I wouldn't fill a keg all the way up with soda, I'd try filling a corny with a gallon and the appropriate amount of whisky first.

Should work just fine, although I'd agree with Orfy. Also, you might want an occasional coke without.

Old Navy story: After six weeks in Guam, my sub left for San Diego. Several people commented on the Cola tasting odd. One CPO nailed it: "No rum!".

You pour Diet Coke in a perfectly good glass of Jim Beam? I agree with the guys who say to keep the Coke on tap. You might find yourself entertaining someone who likes the taste of bourbon.

You could test the separation issue by making a single drink, and then putting in the fridge for a few days. By drinking it, and carefully observing, you should be able to tell if it is still mixed. It will be flat, but oh well.

Would the orings "soak up" the flavor of the soda? I've heard about people having to replace the orings on "new to them" kegs that went out of service in the soda industry.

yeah the o-rings would all stink of coke and whiskey. as long as its a dedicated keg though it doesn't matter, jsut clean em and replace when they get damaged or start cracking.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'll keep plain coke anyway, I drink it all the time so I always have it. If someone wanted a different drink I'd just mix from a can. And yhe keg would be dedicated to Beam and coke.

I don't see why the whiskey would separate. Coke is primarily water and alcohol is soluble in water. If I remember my chem classes correctly it's because ethanol and H2O are both polar molecules. Once you get to the higher alcohols, past butanol I think, alcohols become insoluble due to the larger carbon chain
...man, I need to get outside more. I'm sound like a major nerd

Back