Anyone Ever Brewed Jamil’s Sweet Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t get over this recipe calling for 1 pound or Black Patent…for a 5-gallon batch.

Here’s his recipe I’m planning on doing this weekend or next.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Marris Otter, 10#
Black Patent, 1#
Crystal 80, .75#
Pale Chocolate, .50#
Lactose, 1 pound (10 minute boil)

EKG, 60 minute bittering for a 29 IBU.

Mash at 154.

English Ale Yeast

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.017
IBU = 29

It does sound like a lot, huh?

Wondering if you were using the new book and it was perhaps a typo I went to the show archive and checked... yep 1# black patent.

I haven't brewed it myself, but all other JZ recipes I've tried have turned out great, so I'd say just trust The Pope.

I just listened to that show on podcast the other day. Fairly sure he said 1lb for the black malt as he says a sweet stout should have a similar profile to a sweetened espresso.

I was more surprised at using 1lb of lactose than 1lb of black malt!

I don't see any problem with it. My stout has a pound of chocolate AND a pound of roasted barley in it. Only one pound of black patent seems reasonable. The lactose will help balance the beer with a little sweetness.

The thing that looks like alot to me is the 10lbs. of Marris Otter. I'd cut that back by at least a pound and up the crystal to a full pound, but then that's me.

Also, the mash temp looks low. I'd do it at 158 degrees.

Let us know!

:mug:

Spyk'd said:
Also, the mash temp looks low. I'd do it at 158 degrees.

Let us know!

:mug:

Yeah, Jamil's book is weird that way. Even for beers with a serious malt-forward mouthfeel he never mashes above 154º. It's weird. I can't fault the guy his successes, but, dang, there are mash temperatures between 154º and 170º, some of them even work quite nicely for some beer styles :D

Spyk'd said:
The thing that looks like alot to me is the 10lbs. of Marris Otter. I'd cut that back by at least a pound and up the crystal to a full pound, but then that's me.
What efficiency is he basing these recipes on?

Let me know how your version turns out, BM. I'm doing an Imperial Sweet Stout next week based loosely on the same recipe.

Beersmith told me that Jamils exact ingredients would be a 6.3% beer which is a little heavy for me.

So I scaled everything back and kept the hops/gravity ratio the same. I'm also adding some malto dextrin I have left over for a nice chewy beer.
SweetStoutRatio.jpg

This should come in right at 5%.

So here's what I'm going with:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 37.9 SRM
SweetStoutColor.jpg
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

8.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)

0.50 lb Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min)
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)

I'll mash at 152-154. Don't want to go higher because the grain bill will already leave a lot of residual sweetness...not to mention the lactose.

This is a sipping desert beer so just 5-gallons on this batch.

BierMuncher said:

I've seen this chart in your posts many times, but for some reason I just now noticed that half of the beers that I brew wouldn't even show up on it as they're 65+ IBU.

Nonetheless, the recipe looks good. I decided to go the other way with it. I wanted a BIG, sweet stout to sip for a few weeks in winter. I'm shooting for 1.083.

How did this beer turn out BierMuncher? I am going to try the Jamil recipe, per the podcast and was wondering if the black patent was right, or if it would be too overwhelming?

How did this beer turn out BierMuncher? I am going to try the Jamil recipe, per the podcast and was wondering if the black patent was right, or if it would be too overwhelming?

I brewed this recipe about 2 months ago. I think it is a very good beer. The black patent is not overwhelming, the roast derived bitterness/astringency balances the sweet lactose so that you get a beer that is obviously very sweet with a nice thick mouth feel, but it is not cloying and is easy to drink.

I need to grab a couple bottles of Mackeson's and Sam Adams Cream Stout and do a comparison.

thanks for digging this up. I am going to brew this one as well - but in extract instead of all grain. I need a wort chiller and I am all grain :)

This recipe turned out very well. I did it all-grain, and it is very balanced. The black patent doesn't overwhelm the beer with the amount of lactose that is added. I will defenitley brew this one again.

He's said that all his recipes are based on 70% eff.

Also, he brews in 6 gallon batches. Moves 5.5 from the kettle to the fermenter. This way he ends with ~5 gallons of finished beer.

So for 5 gallons out of the kettle, you'll want to scale everything down by approximately 15%.

Back