what beer to buy in pa.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pliny the elder of course!! They sell it in a lot of places in Philly Pa. Just a short drive from Jersey.

If you are in Philly proper, stop by the Philadelphia Brewing Co. Or pick up some of their beer. They have witbier with a cool name: Walt Wit (Whitman, the anarchist's favorite poet). It's hard to find wit that's not bland and theirs, though not very carbonated, is good. They have other beers that looks interesting.

Ok, we're stationed in these

ForumRunner_20121101_075540.png

At dorney water park outside Allentown Pa...so I'll be in this general area...anyone familiar with this area? Probably won't make it too far from here b/c most of the power lines are on the ground and that's what I'm here to fix! Really want to take some regional brews home for my upcoming beertasting party....thanks in advance

Allentown brew works is not far from you maybe 5 miles. Great food and excellent selection of there own craft beer. Which they sell to go also.

As a former Philly resident, I can recommend the following eastern PA/NJ breweries:

Troegs
Victory
Flying Fish
Yards (a case of the "Ales of the Revolution" series is worth picking up for sure)
Sly Fox
Philadelphia Brewing Company (if you can find their annual limited release "Harvest from the Hood," definitely try it. It's made with Philly-grown hops, some of them from the urban farm I used to volunteer at)

Enjoy your beer adventures up north!

Victory brewing company,
Victory brewing company, and if you have time,
Victory brewing company

If u can make it troegs gotta get the scratch its all fresh brewed special recipes.

See if you can find Yard's (from Philly) or Stouts (adamstown). I've heard of a few good brew pubs in the Bethlehem area, but can't think of the names right now. Also try a Yungeling Lager from tap up here, tastes different from the ones you get in NC for some reason.

If you find yourself drifting farther towards Reading or Philly let me know. I'm better with those areas.

If you're at Dorney (Allentown) the closest are Allentown Brew Works, Bethlehem Brew Works in Bethlehem, and Weyerbacher (which is on Line Street in Easton, which is just off of 78 East, roughly 20 miles or so from Allentown - send me a private message if you want more specific directions). You're quite a distance from Philadelphia, Hershey, Downingtown and most of the others that have been mentioned (even though they are excellent breweries)

PA still has some goofy rules for buying alcohol/beer (for the most part you can usually only by beer by the case--distributors, or six pack in bars).
If you're up here to work and wont have much time to travel around to the breweries, find the Wegmans in Allentown or Bethlehem. You'll be able to buy mixed/variety six packs and bombers (all of the breweries mentioned should be available there.

I love my Wegmans :) Always a good selection. But you can only buy 192 ounces at a time. You can run back an fourth to your car though..

I've been enjoying the Appalachian Brewing company lately.

http://www.abcbrew.com

Looks like you're only 2 miles from the Wegmans, but I would call to make sure they have a beer selection.

Wegmans Allentown
3900 West Tilghman Street
Allentown, PA 18104
(610) 336-7900

NervousDad said:
Looks like you're only 2 miles from the Wegmans, but I would call to make sure they have a beer selection.

Wegmans Allentown
3900 West Tilghman Street
Allentown, PA 18104
(610) 336-7900

They have a good selection there I frequent that one. Also Brewworks on the Green is about a 1/4 mile from it. I forgot about that one

Most power is out in this area...progress is slow...PPL is very unorganized, I guess they're just overwhelmed! Rumor is there's a storm headed this way?!?

Pliny is from CA..

Get
Troegs - Nugget Nectar
Victory - Hop Wallop
actually get another Victory - Hop Wallop
a 24pack of Yuengling Black&Tan in 16oz cans
and Southern Tier - anything/everything

Had Pliny and I didn't care much for it....maybe it was just a bad bottle, better try again to make sure! Any other suggestions?

Troegs is my favorite, definitely check out the brewery if you can, they moved about a year ago and have a really neat setup and great lineup of beers (especially their scratch beers). Victory is another good one that isn't too far, and if you can, check out Round Guys Brewing (saw someone mentioned above) and Prism, both are small local breweries you won't likely find anywhere else, and both have some pretty unique brews (especially Prism, they don't really seem to make anything "normal" haha).

Troegs is my favorite PA brewery. Sly fox a close second. DO NOT waste your money on the yards "Beers of the revolution" case. You will NOT be able to choke down/give away the spruce tip beer. The tavern porter is ok. However, Yards "Cape of Good Hope", "brawler", and their mixed case in general is pretty solid. That all said, you are very close to Shangy's in Emmeaus. GO THERE, NOW. regardless of whether it's local or not, they will have stuff I guarantee you cannot get at home. Take your checkbook.

And thank you so much for helping this area out. I only wish the guys from NC that restored power in my neighborhood (late last night mind you) would have accepted my homebrew!

Yuengling

Oldest brewery in the United States and you can get it on drought everywhere. Try it just for the historical aspect if anything else.

and despite my pretentiousness about beer I love it.

Back