carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plinythelderphan

Reaction score
I bottled my beer about 10 days ago...I'm very excited to see if it turns out! Is there any way other than opening one to tell if the brew is carbonating? I really want to wait three weeks, but I'm not the most patient sort. It looked great and smelled great, tasted great the night of the bottle...I just need some carbonation!

Plinythelderphan said:
I bottled my beer about 10 days ago...I'm very excited to see if it turns out! Is there any way other than opening one to tell if the brew is carbonating? I really want to wait three weeks, but I'm not the most patient sort. It looked great and smelled great, tasted great the night of the bottle...I just need some carbonation!

Unfortunately not:(

There's nothing wrong with popping one open to see but be sure to fridge it for a day or two first.

IME, give it the full three weeks at 70F, then chill for 5-7 days (or more) before pouring to a [room temp] glass... If carbonated within range, place more bottles into the fridge and enjoy after chilling period has been achieved. Just remember to add new bottles as you drink the ones that are ready.

If you added priming sugar, it's carbonating. Just wait the three weeks, don't open any yet. They will taste terrible and you will end up spilling it out wasting a beer.

Keep it at 70 ish for the three weeks, cool them down for a few days then open one up.

Everyone has to wait!

Don't wanna be a bad influence but I usually pop one 7-8 days after bottling.

Only when they prime with sugars and yeast. :ban:

Me, I chill for two weeks at serving pressure and temperature and then pour a pint. :D :drunk:

Actually recently I started adding a very small amount of yeast during bottling. Carbonates anything in a matter of days. (Still prefer to wait though to let it mellow out for a bit, but as far as carbonation is concerned it will be done withing a few days)

Actually recently I started adding a very small amount of yeast during bottling. Carbonates anything in a matter of days. (Still prefer to wait though to let it mellow out for a bit, but as far as carbonation is concerned it will be done withing a few days)

I only did that when I had a high ABV brew that I was bottling, and I was still too new to brewing to understand that the yeast wouldn't need much to carbonate the bottles.

I do enjoy bottling after carbonation is complete. It's nice to take a few bottles to visit family with, and let them drink directly without getting a mouth full of trub. :eek:

Back