Grain Profiles and Hop Varietals reference guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_me_plz

Reaction score
I have formulated a 39 page document of what I believe are the most popular grains used in brewing and their malsters as well as diffrent hop varietals based on region. I have also added yeast and other spices. I am taking no credit for this information what-so-ever. All I did was copy, paste, and organized the information. It is from several different sites. I wanted something as a quick reference for when i'm formulating a recipe and this has really helped me out.

Edit: I think I have it just about right. Here is the google docs version.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8k4XHSNrBZmcV9ZX2w5WWNJc2c

If you are having trouble with the google docs version I will email you a pdf copy. Just pm me your email address.

Guess this is popular! Tried to send a PM but the system says you are at your auota for PMs. :)

Same here. I would like a copy. please pm me and I will give you my email address.t or better yet, post to googledocs, box.com, dropbox, etc.

Oter said:
Same here. I would like a copy. please pm me and I will give you my email address.t or better yet, post to googledocs, box.com, dropbox, etc.

Yeah, Im not a premium supporter I guess I got cut off :(. I will try that in a little while. For know it's lunch time!!

You're full. I second the post to google docs. Make the single document public and all the world can view it by clicking a link. Much better than a mountain of PMs to delete and single emails to send.

So, What do you guys think? I'm also going to do a yeast section as well. so this is technically a work in progress.

I like it a lot, yes i can find this info online but now i dont have to :)
Thanks a lot for sharing

Haven't had a chance to read the entire document, but it looks like a fantastic resource. Thank you for all the work you put into compiling all this info in one place. Great job! A yeast section would be the icing on the cake.

Great work, this will be super useful when looking to organize a new recipe.

Thanks for doing this. I'll sometimes end up with 20 windows open trying to create or modify a recipe for what the LHBS has in stock. This will help a bunch.
:mug:

Okay, you guys have motivated me. I just spent about another hour or so on it. I've added the yeast strains. I also made it look a little better. I'll get around to adding other ingredients later. Unfortunately, I may not be able to post until tomorrow.

Wow, nice post! Great, concise guide with great visuals. The only thing I didn't see in there were average IBU/AA ranges on the hop varieties. Still, awesome guide!:D

DerCribben said:
Wow, nice post! Great, concise guide with great visuals. The only thing I didn't see in there were average IBU/AA ranges on the hop varieties. Still, awesome guide!:D

Good idea. I really think the hop section is lacking a good bit. I will look into adding more flavor profiles and the avg IBU/AA.

I have a production printer at work. I was able to create a full sized booklet. Awesome!

image-3766969384.jpg

I did notice some minor fixes that would help clean up a couple pages.
Page 25 - provide space (vertical) between types of dry yeasts.
Page 37 under spice section. Provide space between Cardamon and Chickory
Page 38 space between Licorice root and Licorice stick.

Awesome reference! I will be printing and laminating these bad boys like yourself.

Ok, I've made the recommended corrections about the spacing and I found a few misspelled words. I will wait till this afternoon to post the revised version. So hold off on printing or downloading till then. I know it may not be perfect but I'm OCD and want to get as close as possible. if anyone catches anything let me know!

I will expand the hops section at a later date. If you know a good reference for hops please post here. Also, If you really want a PDF version pm me your email and I will send it to you when I can get to it. Otherwise just use the google docs. version.

Might consider changing the name to "Ingredient Guide" rather than "Recipe Guide" since it's a database of ingredients, rather than a guide on recipe formulation. Not that it really causes any confusion, but just a thought.

TheZymurgist said:
Might consider changing the name to "Ingredient Guide" rather than "Recipe Guide" since it's a database of ingredients, rather than a guide on recipe formulation. Not that it really causes any confusion, but just a thought.

I was contemplating changing it to that. I guess I was thinking its more of a recipe formulation guide but ingredient guide makes more sense. Thanks for the rec.

Great job. I can see using this both as a reference and a source of inspiration. If there was more substitution info this could practically be a one-stop-shop for me. Thanks for taking the time to compile.

Back