Working with WY 1318

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krahm

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this is my first time using this yeast. I'm not stressing about it, but it's acting different than other yeasts I've used, so I'm just wondering if my experience with the strain is typical. I'm using it in a best bitter, and at two weeks, I've still got a krausen. It's very "creamy" looking, too. With other yeasts I've been bottling lower gravity ales at two weeks. I've managed to keep the temp a few degrees lower on this batch, so that could be a factor, I know (around 66). And I'm guessing that since this is a top-cropping strain the creamy effect is because of a higher concentration of yeast in the krausen. But I figured I'd ask. Does this sound like what you'd expect?

Yup, that's what I figured. Thx for the responses. I'll just count on an extra week with this strain in the future.

Yeah, that krausen probably isn't leaving. It'll definitely stay for a month or more. I've tried skimming all of it off after FG was reached, and a day later is was back. Cold crashing will get it to drop. Or you can just rack from under it, they say (I just cold crash, so I've never needed to do this, but it shouldn't be a problem.)

Yeah, it's not going away. I tried swirling to break it up (I wanted to dry hop), but it just came back. I'm going to take a few gravity readings over the next few days with a view to bottling this weekend. I don't have room in my fridge for the big carboy, so I'll just try racking from underneath if the gravity has stabilized.

Yeah, it's not going away. I tried swirling to break it up (I wanted to dry hop), but it just came back. I'm going to take a few gravity readings over the next few days with a view to bottling this weekend. I don't have room in my fridge for the big carboy, so I'll just try racking from underneath if the gravity has stabilized.

i recently did a bitter with that strain and the krausen layer stuck around for a couple weeks after i hit FG. i tend to dry hop in secondary, so i did what you're talking about, gently agitated the bucket to loosen the dough layer. it helped and after racking the beer dropped very clear after a 5 day dry hop. :mug:

You don't have to wait for it to fall. Check your readings, and package when ready. That krausen is not an indicator of being finished. And yes, cold crashing will fix it.

Back