Best, free brewing software?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
I have the trial version of beer tools pro right now, but it doesn't account for hop utilization when doing partial boils. I didn't notice that until I had already started my boil last night. Is there a free software that you guys l ow of that can help me?

Brewtarget is free. I haven't messed with it a lot but it might have what your looking for, can't lose its free.

Brewtarget is great. I use it all the time.

Does it account for hop utilization when doing partial boils, and late extract additions?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have an iPhone, and I've seen a few apps in the app store, but most of them aren't free.

beer calculus has been REALLY messed up for me lately.extremely slow but works. might have to check out the other ones.

beer calculus has been REALLY messed up for me lately.extremely slow but works. might have to check out the other ones.

Yes beer calculus is slow, and it only allows you to set your late additions at 5 mins left in the boil. I usually add mine at 15 mins.

I don't think you're setting the knobs correctly on BTP. I just selected the Rager or Tinseth utilization models from the utilization window (under the recipe tab) and it's adjusting both based on late additions and/or the concentration of the boil due to the IBU dilution that occurs (e.g. the more you dilute post boil, the lower the end IBUs are).

I don't think you're setting the knobs correctly on BTP. I just selected the Rager or Tinseth utilization models from the utilization window (under the recipe tab) and it's adjusting both based on late additions and/or the concentration of the boil due to the IBU dilution that occurs (e.g. the more you dilute post boil, the lower the end IBUs are).

Hm...when I changed the DME addition from mash to late addition, and set it to 15 mins the IBUs didn't change at all. They also didn't change when i changed my boil volume.

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I will try to fix it with the utilization window (which I didn't know existed until now :drunk:).

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if I succeed...and I guess we'll find out how good I was at dumping in extra hops on the fly. :D

Ok, now it's working. :rockin: Thanks Bobby, but now...I'm even more confused - Haha. I don't know which model to use. Can you point me towards a discussion on the subject if there isn't any easy answer (it seems like there isn't one, Lol).

From what I'm seeing in the graphical representation associated with each model - they seem significantly different, so I would like to make an educated decision on which to use for my setup instead of just pick one.

Any direction? Thanks again for the help. I have learned so much in the past few months it's ridiculous. A few years ago I was happy brewing mediocre beer, but since I have put forth an effort to put out good beer the results have been amazing. :mug:

Back