First bottle of my first brew...haze question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billpa

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last night I decided to try a bottle of my first batch of brew...an ESB. It was in primary for a week, secondary for a little over 3 weeks and bottle conditioned for one week. I figured it would taste a little young which I believe it does. I think it needs to mellow out a bit but overall I am pleased so far.

I do have a question about haze. The beer was pretty cloudy. I know that haze can be contributed to no (or a weak) hot and cold break. The recipe was a partial mash so there was a bit of a hot break when boiling first going. And I believe that I did a good job getting the wort down to pitching temps in about 20-30 minutes.

I am curious...since it is only a week in the conditioning/carbonation stage, could that cause more cloudiness? Also, I only had it in the fridge for about 5 hours. Would it need to be cold longer so it could settle out more?

Im not worried too much, just curious :D

It does sound like chill haze, especially if it looks clear in the bottle before you refrigerate it. A couple of weeks will make a difference, as will a longer time in the fridge. Quite a few of my PM beers had chill haze that eventually got better.

Also, did you pour everything in the bottle into the glass? You have to pour carefully and leave the last little bit in the bottom of the bottle to avoid dumping all the yeast into your glass (and making it all hazy).

Back