purge air from secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
ok, so i racked to my secondary on the 10th every thing went perfect there hasnt really been any activity in the air lock to purge to air out but im not really worryed about that im more concerned with when i start to take hydrometer reading that the air will not be purged once i put the air lock back on, is this a well based concern?? or should i just RDWHAHB and take the reading and put the air lock back on?

fleas :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

any input would rock thanks

sorry if there are some type-o's im a bit out of it

You really don't need to check the gravity that soon. I would wait until right before you think it is ready to bottle. When you do want to check it, relax, don't worry...
I leave my beers in the secondary for at least 2 weeks and I don't check the gravity until it is kegged or bottled. That way I'm not opening the fermenter expressly to check gravity. :mug:

wow sorry, i got the dates wrong as i said im a bit out of it. i racked on the 9th* and i was asking for future reference i was thinking i would start checking around day 10 or more

sorry i could have wrote the first post a bit better hahaha

fleas :drunk:

just give it 2 weeks rack to bottling bucket and take a reading then for FG.
Thats what I do, that way it's always plenty done fermenting.

Back