lager ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foyboy

Reaction score
I am brewing my first dopplebock Lager ,(CELEBRATOR) I have experimented in my basement for an area to primary so not to disturb my ales and my usual controller-heat setup,and I can get anywhere from 46f to 53f steady in a R-3 foam chamber.My question is if I need to get a degree or two warmer up to 55f for ideal temp for Oktoberfest yeast can I use a heating pad under my 6 1/2 gal. to raise it just a touch to get a little heat in the bottom yeast.( 5 minutes)AGAIN i am talking a DEGREE ! My thought is it is going to heat the yeast a bit and get it lively without heating the beer .OR leave it ferment steady on the cool side 53.6 f....

starter-2 L -48 hours stirplate
OG 182
-pitched all 2 L @ 52f
Oxygen
36 hour till bubbles

You'd probably be ok with just leaving it as is at 53 degrees. My only concern with the heating pad is, if you're using a glass carboy the heating pad might shock the glass and cause it to break. (that's just a concern...doesn't mean that it's going to happen).

Your 53 should be fine, in fact it might be a little warm. Remember, the optimal temp refers to the temp of the fermenting wort which will usually be a few degrees warmer than the ambient air temp. I have 2 lagers going right now and have a water jacket over each to maintain temp. The wort has constantly been 2-3 degrees higher than the water temp. If you do ever need the heating pad, I have used the ones you buy at the pet store to put on the bottom of a reptile tank.

Latest posts

Back