What The Heck Is Boxing Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
For everyone outside the US, what is Boxing Day? I know it's the day after Christmas, Dec. 26, but what is? :confused: It was mentioned in a thread here currently, plus I've just always been curious.

I think that's when you box up all the gifts you don't want and return them to the store to get cash to pay off your maxed out credit cards. :drunk:

It's another day off work that's what it is. A bank holiday (national holiday):tank:
Used to mean tripple time or double time and an extra days holiday.

So you get Christmas off, and the next day as well? Isn't that a sweet deal. So this year, did you get an extra day off since Christmas was on a Sunday?

I get any day off I want but for example... (I've had 3 weeks)

If Christmas is on Saturday then you get

Saturday, Sunday. Monday (Christmas Holiday), (Tuesday) (Boxing Day Holiday)

Brewsmith said:
How can we rig that over here? :D

We need to create a holiday that honors the people who were forced/bound to work for us- African Americans. That would be the corollary for the U.S. We need to get Kwanzaa off or something or a national no-more slavery day where nobody has to work, or something.

It's not exactly the same thing, but it'd be sorta similar.

Toot said:
We need to create a holiday that honors the people who were forced/bound to work for us- African Americans. That would be the corollary for the U.S. We need to get Kwanzaa off or something or a national no-more slavery day where nobody has to work, or something.

Isn't the concept of celebrating African American heritage by not working a bit racist and stereotyping?

Ever heard of Juneteenth?

Cheesefood said:
Isn't the concept of celebrating African American heritage by not working a bit racist and stereotyping?

Honestly, I believe that it all depends on how you look at it. I have a Jamaican friend who insists it's racist to refer to blacks as African Americans because it denigrates her island heritage. Some other dark people from non-African countries probably feel similarly. But I do think the racism card is the reason that a day off on a national slavery rememberance day would never really fly in the United States. It would be very divisive. Some people would rather argue about a 200 year old mistake than spend an extra day with the people they love and care about. And by "some people", I'm not talking about whites or blacks or anybody else in particular. I'm talking about some people.

I had never heard of that! But yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking about as being a possible corrolary.

Toot said:
Honestly, I believe that it all depends on how you look at it. I have a Jamaican friend who insists it's racist to refer to blacks as African Americans because it denigrates her island heritage. Some other dark people from non-African countries probably feel similarly. But I do think the racism card is the reason that a day off on a national slavery rememberance day would never really fly in the United States. It would be very divisive. Some people would rather argue about a 200 year old mistake than spend an extra day with the people they love and care about. And by "some people", I'm not talking about whites or blacks or anybody else in particular. I'm talking about some people.

I had never heard of that! But yeah, that's the kind of thing I was thinking about as being a possible corrolary.

So yeah, boxing day. Go boxing day!

I guess they're all over with now. Anyone have plans for Twelfth night??

Toot said:

Um, no we don't

ablrbrau said:
Um, no we don't

If we want an extra day off in the spirit of boxing day, then yes we do. Since America flatly rejected England's system of nobility and the concept of serfdom, in order to have a day dedicated to the powerless workers in our nations historic past, I think it would pretty much have to be dedicated to the slaves. Unless you can think of another class of people in America that fit that definition... maybe a National Undocumented Immigrant Laborer Day? Would that be a better analogy in your opinion?

I think we should dump Xmas as a legal holiday due to it's religious basis (however wrong that is) and get Boxing Day, which is based on the rich folk giving the poor folk their Xmas leftovers. That would alleviate the jam-ups in the stores on the 26th.

Latest posts

Back