Added Amylase, Can I Pull a Cold Keg out to Warm to Room Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
I had a stuck fermentation on a beer that is at 1.022. I tried all the normals to get it going with no luck so I let it sit for a few months and kegged it. I carbed it and dropped it in the keezer and placed it on tap. I have tried some samples out of it and it is honestly drinkable, but still too sweet.

I threw some amylase in there about 3 weeks ago but have since read that it does better when temperatures are a little higher. I am thinking about pulling it out of the keezer, letting the amylase do its thing, and when it is complete or at least reasonable, adding the lactose that I didnt add into the beer.

Can I safely pull the keg out and let it warm to room temp without affecting the beer? Also, can I leave it carbed and with serving pressure? I assume that the amylase should still work when warmed back up correct?

Amylase will work better at room temperature and warming your beer up a little won't hurt it.

Amylase will breakdown the long chain sugars to be more fermentable, but you will still need yeast present to convert these sugars to alcohol. You may want to make sure that any residual yeast is roused up from the bottom of the keg or add a bit more.

Back