One of those days....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Brewed a California Common today using Yoopers recipe. Things were great, 75% efficiency, got some other things accomplished during the mash and boil. Then it hit. Second time using the new keggle. Last time I threw my hops in and they settled nicely to the bottom and I was able to drain out my pick-up tube with no issues.

This time. Hops sucked up pick-up tube causing clog. Sanitizing hands trying to break the clog. Finally I poured the wort through a mesh bag and funnel from my keggle, hopefully I sanitized the rim well enough. Should have had 5.5 gallons but due to splashing, had about 4.75.

If this batch isn't infected somehow, I'll be happy. Otherwise I'll have brewed a California Sour.

Don't tempt fate. Next time: Hop bag.

Geez, guys. You are looking, say something, even if it's LOL and you call me a dumba$$.

BTW, Descheutes The Abysss makes a shi&&y brewday good.

You're not a dumba$$ at all. It's just one of life's lessons. I have always used a hop bag. I know some folks like to use free range hops, but I keep 'em penned up.

I feel your pain. I was brewing last week, and decided it was time to induct my 5 year old son into the brewing tradition. So I put a step stool next to the keggle, and handed him the package of hops. I clearly pointed at the opening of the hop bag, and said, "pour it in there." He of course missed. I use a stainless steel scrubby on my Pick-up-tube, so I thought no worries. Well I got about half the batch out before it clogged up completely. This was compounded by the fact that I use a plate chiller. So now I have 2.5 gallons of still pretty hot wort sitting in my keggle. No way I'm putting my hands in there. I quickly sanatized my autosiphon and some hose, and siphoned it out. Had to wait a couple hours to pitch my yeast till the temperature came down, but I think that no harm was done.

Brewed a California Common today using Yoopers recipe. Things were great, 75% efficiency, got some other things accomplished during the mash and boil. Then it hit. Second time using the new keggle. Last time I threw my hops in and they settled nicely to the bottom and I was able to drain out my pick-up tube with no issues.

This time. Hops sucked up pick-up tube causing clog. Sanitizing hands trying to break the clog. Finally I poured the wort through a mesh bag and funnel from my keggle, hopefully I sanitized the rim well enough. Should have had 5.5 gallons but due to splashing, had about 4.75.

If this batch isn't infected somehow, I'll be happy. Otherwise I'll have brewed a California Sour.

Don't tempt fate. Next time: Hop bag.

Meh, **** happens. We've all been there, nothing dumb/wrong on your part. When it happens to me......I use it as an excuse to take a big swig o' the Cap'n, and blow in the tube. If that doesn't clear it, I bust out a spare racking cane and just siphon it out. If you want to filter it, take a muslin bag and rubber band it around your carboy so about 4 inches hangs down inside and run the siphon into it. If you're using a bucket, you can tape a muslin bag between two spoons/sticks whatever and suspend it on the bucket.

I always have this stuff cleaned and sanitized on stand by in my brew kit.....just in case.

Latest posts

Back