LOTS of floats and swirls in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahunaman

Reaction score
This is an issue i am having with my 10th batch of beer.
I made a belgian tripel - primary for a month, secondary for a month - then bottled it and let it sit.

It has been sitting for 6 weeks now in the bottle.

It tastes ok, but every bottle has a TON of sediment - and not the type that just sits at the bottom and trubs up. - I am talking sediment that swirls around when you pick up a bottle. It is almost impossible to avoid and it is about 5 times what I normally see.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I would think that as this beer sat the longest for me that it would have the LEAST issue with sediment and things like that. Yes - I know - just drink it and dont' sweat it - but I'd like to avoid this in the future if I make this recipe again.
Thanks

A picture would be cool for all us newbs.

Have you tried refrigeration to see if any drops out?

Also, have you tried a beer yet? Does it gush or taste bad?

The last Belgian yeast strain I used (it was a White Labs, can't remember the kind) was very non-flocculant. It is very easily stirred up, and is very "wispy" if that makes sense. I bet it's a combo of stuff that fell out, and the Belgian yeast. Does it taste ok?

I have these 'swirls' in my beer, bottled for 3 weeks now. Seem to be only located in the bottom inch. Looks to be yeast strings?????

I am hoping they drop once I throw them in the fridge for a few days. Don't want the company barfing if they swallowed one of those suckers.

I used Wyeast.
You explained it perfectly. VERY easily stirred up, and there is a ton of it. chilling it does nothing. It tastes ok- people actually seem to like it - but I am biased as I keep staring at the color and swirls of it.

The last Belgian yeast strain I used (it was a White Labs, can't remember the kind) was very non-flocculant. It is very easily stirred up, and is very "wispy" if that makes sense. I bet it's a combo of stuff that fell out, and the Belgian yeast. Does it taste ok?

Heh, heh....

I have a Tripel that's been in the bottle for about four months. It has plenty of sediment with things actually floating around in it. The blond that I bottled and used the cake for this beer had the floaties as well. No amount of chilling seems to help. WLP550. Both beers are great!

Back