Belgian Yeast Strains Profiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good source of documentation on the Belgian yeast strains profiling.

I did see another thread with British Ale yeast profiling would be really neat to have such profiling handy when designing a beer.

For example what temp to pitch, ferment in first and secondary in order to get certain aromas out.

I had hopsinjoor gouden carolus that tasted amazing. Apples, pears - really really amazing. Those flavors were most likely generated by the yeast fermenting at certain temps.

Thanks!
Q

White Labs publishes something close to this on their website here.

There's a similar chart for Wyeast strains in Brew Like a Monk (and a different/better one for WL, too, now that I think about it), though that hasn't made its way to the web that I've seen. I know these aren't exactly what you want, but it might be enough to get started.

that's a great start GuldTuborg! I will in BLAM, I just started to read it.

Btw. did you find a good Tuborg recipe :) ?

Ps.
Anyone knows what's the difference in pitching at higher temp (85) vs pitching at lower temp (75) ?

I will find something out when I taste my next batch cause that's exactly what I did(by accident that is)

I would not pitch at such high temps. Most Belgian (actually most ale) strains are best when you start cool in the mid 60's and let it free rise from there to the desired fermentation temp. For Belgians I like to let them rise into the mid 70's.

my experience is with 3 Belgian yeasts

WLP 500 (Chimay) is very fruity and does not floculate well
WLP 530 (Westmalle) is balanced between fruity and spicy and floculates better than 500
WLP 550 (Achouffe) is more spicy phenolic and floculates the best.

They all are highly attenutive and all work well when you pitch in the mid 60's and finish in the mid 70's

Yeah, that's some excellent info. I've listen to his pod casts many times but haven't listened in a while. Guess I need to hit the archives and get schooled up on Belgian yeasts.

Yeah, that's some excellent info. I've listen to his pod casts many times but haven't listened in a while. Guess I need to hit the archives and get schooled up on Belgian yeasts.

Its was one of the better podcasts, especially if you are into Belgians. WLP550 (WY3522) has become my go to strain. That might be group think, but I dont have time to do the testing they did and 550 does a great job. WLP550 is reported to be from LaBrasserie d'Achouffe. Only downer is Achouffe uses a gnome for a mascot/logo. If you drink too much you start dressing funny and growing long white facial hairs. Like these people who posted a picture of themselves on the breweries fan site.
8ce14dcd15dfe5cbab88dd876d881fca.jpg
You have been warned.

There was a great Basic Brewing Radio Podcast in 2012 where a brew club (L'Ville,Kentucky LAGERS)taste tested Belgian yeast. Great document that goes with it.
Link to the Podcast
Link to the PDF regarding Belgian Yeast

I second that's a great link. Seems that's only from White Labs but still great stuff! Thank you! Now I have to build a fermentation chamber.

I use that chart too and I do appreciate the information they posted. However, I always wanted a 2nd source to verify the yeasts origin and what they cross to/from. Anyone have another source?

The other problem is England info (as posted on Mr Malty) does not cross to any dry yeasts. Id love to know what is the source or cross to Danstars's new Belle Saison.

Back