Good fall beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last weekend I started a BB German Octoberfest. It's my first lager. I have high hopes for the fall. :)

Since where I live fall starts next month, I'd suggest a wheat beer or a cream ale so it would be done by fall.:D

Any good beer will make me fall.

Something in amber with mild spices but not as strongly spiced as Thanksgiving. Or maybe a bit smokey to echo burning leaves. Not pumpkin beer - that is for later in Autumn. My mouth is watering.

Brewer's Best kits for fall, easy: American Amber*, American Pale Ale*, Dunkelweizen, English Brown Ale*, German Altbier, Imperial Blonde Ale, Imperial Nut Brown, Pumpkin Spice Porter, Robust Porter*.

Brewer's Best kits for fall, intermediate: American Pale Wheat, Belgian Saison*, English Pale Ale*, German Oktoberfest*, Rye Pale Ale, Vienna Lager.

*I have had students brew each of these with good results.

I'm doing the BB Pumpkin Spice Porter. But since I won't touch that until November, I'm gonna do a second one that will be ready for Sept/Oct. I'm thinking a Nut Brown or something like that.

Pumpkin in beer??? I think that's one of the reasons I stopped buying Samuel Adams...

Ok, ok. It's all a matter of taste. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins, but the idea of pumpkin in my beer just doesn't sound appealing to me. But, if you like it, go for it. :)

Have a Bourbon Barrel Quad and a Westvleteren 8 ageing right now. Brewing a Pumpkin next month, then a Fresh Hop Winter Ale.

I love seasonal beers. I think Dark Belgians are awesome fall beers, and if you don't finish them off, they're good as it gets colder too.

I like dunkelweizen and of course an oktoberfest, which starts in September anyway.

There are so many I want to make. I need a credit card with no limit or to work in a brewery.

I just ordered 2 kits from Midwest. I will be making their Autumn Amber Ale and Pumpkin Ale.

I'd agree with either an Oktoberfest or a pumpkin ale. Pumpkin ales, to me at least, are more late fall like October/November.

I agree. I am planning on having the autumn Amber ready for football season. The pumpkin ale needs some time in the bottle, so I am looking to have that ready for the end of October.

I agree. I am planning on having the autumn Amber ready for football season. The pumpkin ale needs some time in the bottle, so I am looking to have that ready for the end of October.
Don't make my mistake and use too much spice!!!

I plan on doing some type of Porter but not sure what yet.

collinsDPT said:
Don't make my mistake and use too much spice!!!

I plan on doing some type of Porter but not sure what yet.

I would love to find a nice Vanilla Porter recipe. I love the Leinenkugel Snowdrift Porter.

Fall ales are the best. Love me some harvest ales and pumpkin ales. That means it's time for some darker porters and stouts too. Nothing better than getting into some football and hockey games while drinking some heavy beers! Plus that's Oktoberfest time!

I'm a big fan of dark and roasty for fall beers. Porter, stout, maybe a big deep ruby Irish red ale.

I'm a big fan of dark and roasty for fall beers. Porter, stout, maybe a big deep ruby Irish red ale.

I feel the same way. I try to drink lighter beers in the summer but nothing beats the taste of a good porter. And fall is just around the corner so I think its time to make one :)

Its fest bier season!

Ayinger Oktoberfest / Märzen

ForumRunner_20130731_193819.jpg

A big roasty brown ale is always good in the cooler months of fall. A nice hoppy amber is also good in fall.

I just bottled a pumpkin spiced red ale. It tastes just right for the fall.

Would a pumpkin porter or pumpkin stout work? I'm thinking a little heartier beer with the pumpkin added might be good, your thoughts?

Just purchased the Bourbon Barrel Porter kit from NB to be ready for the thanksgiving/ christmas season, I thin I will have to turn around and order a pumpkin spiced sort of beer for fall , after that gets brewed up. I think I want a pumpkin spiced beer with some belgian influence, any thoughts?

Hamsterheadsalem said:
Would a pumpkin porter or pumpkin stout work? I'm thinking a little heartier beer with the pumpkin added might be good, your thoughts?

Brewers Best has a Pumpkin Spice Porter kit. I'm guessing a pumpkin porter would taste fantastic!

I've had this planned for several months now. I'll be brewing an Oktoberfest lager, an Irish Red Ale, and a Pumpkin Porter. Fall is certainly the best time of year.

I've had this planned for several months now. I'll be brewing an Oktoberfest lager, an Irish Red Ale, and a Pumpkin Porter. Fall is certainly the best time of year.

Have you done the pumpkin porter before? It sounds interesting, in a good way.

I haven't tried the pumpkin porter. I only heard about it from a friend of a friend at a party once. I would like to do it soon and have it age a bit, but I'm unsure of the availability of fresh pumpkins. I'll have to start looking this weekend.

I haven't tried the pumpkin porter. I only heard about it from a friend of a friend at a party once. I would like to do it soon and have it age a bit, but I'm unsure of the availability of fresh pumpkins. I'll have to start looking this weekend.

Fresh pumpkin should be available soon. Let us know how it turns out, I enjoy a good Porter and love fresh pumpkin

Back