Muslin Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puddlefish7

Reaction score
I just did my first extract batch last week and by recommendation I used muslin bags for everything. I used a bag while steeping my grains and for both hops additions. I could understand getting all the grain out before fermenting, but wouldn’t I want the hops to stay in? Does using bags really matter one way or the other?

You just want the hop oils. You usually strain your wort through a strainer when putting it in your fermenter so your gonna strain all that sediment out anyway. Muslin bags just make the straining process easier

You can also use muslin bags for your grains and something a little better for your hops. I use a paint strainer bag from lowes (sanitized in idophor) and just line my primary fermenter bucket with it.

When I do my boils, I just throw whatever the recipe calls for into the boil pot (hops, adjunct ingredients, fining agents, etc.) and then once it's chilled down, I pour it into the primary fermenter lined with the paint strainer bag. Then, I simply lift out the bag. The mesh on the paint strainer bags is very fine and will pull out even the smallest hops and trub particles. I usually will have to do a little squeeze to get all that wonderful wort out of the wet trub, but it's very easy and there's no messing with clogged strainers.

Thank you both for such a speedy response.
ed5388,
That makes sense that the oils would be sufficient I just though having some hop “matter” in there during fermentation might be beneficial.

Aiptasia,
Do you do this for simplicity or does it have an effect on the beers flavors and/or clarity?

aiptasia said:
You can also use muslin bags for your grains and something a little better for your hops. I use a paint strainer bag from lowes (sanitized in idophor) and just line my primary fermenter bucket with it.

When I do my boils, I just throw whatever the recipe calls for into the boil pot (hops, adjunct ingredients, fining agents, etc.) and then once it's chilled down, I pour it into the primary fermenter lined with the paint strainer bag. Then, I simply lift out the bag. The mesh on the paint strainer bags is very fine and will pull out even the smallest hops and trub particles. I usually will have to do a little squeeze to get all that wonderful wort out of the wet trub, but it's very easy and there's no messing with clogged strainers.

I'll have to give this a try on my next batch! Great idea!

Latest posts

Back