It was a sad day... 4 flat kegs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I went to test one of my two kegs that got put into the chest about two weeks ago to see how they are coming along and it was flat. So I filled a glass from a keg that I have been drinking off for the last month and the damn thing was flat too.

What the hell...

The only thing I can figure is that about 3 weeks ago I turned the CO2 down when filling some growlers and then I turned the pressure back up when done. I think the regulator took a dump on me. Because a week after I messed with it I pulled to empty kegs out (I have 4 on tap) and put two new un-carbed kegs in. Well if the gauge says that I'm at 15 pounds but it's not, this could be the problem right? Two un-carbed kegs and two kegs carbed. The pressure from the carbed kegs blead off into the un-carbed kegs, thus making them all flat.

This sound about right?

I turned it up to 25 pounds and the two that were carbed are back and right again and the other two are starting to come up. I think I need a new regulator.

Or you could have a leak. Have you tested for a leak yet? Put some soapy water around your posts and on the big hole and on top of the posts. Also check you ball-valve tops.

Cheesefood said:
Or you could have a leak. Have you tested for a leak yet? Put some soapy water around your posts and on the big hole and on top of the posts. Also check you ball-valve tops.
Yup that was the first thing I looked for.
The regulator is like 15 or 20 years old and I got it from some guy that had not used it in over 10 years so I was not to sure it would last long.

FSR402 said:
Yup that was the first thing I looked for.
The regulator is like 15 or 20 years old and I got it from some guy that had not used it in over 10 years so I was not to sure it would last long.

Could just be a washer.

FSR402 said:
...The only thing I can figure is that about 3 weeks ago I turned the CO2 down when filling some growlers and then I turned the pressure back up when done. I think the regulator took a dump on me. Because a week after I messed with it I pulled to empty kegs out (I have 4 on tap) and put two new un-carbed kegs in. Well if the gauge says that I'm at 15 pounds but it's not, this could be the problem right? Two un-carbed kegs and two kegs carbed. The pressure from the carbed kegs blead off into the un-carbed kegs, thus making them all flat.

This sound about right?

I turned it up to 25 pounds and the two that were carbed are back and right again and the other two are starting to come up. I think I need a new regulator.

Were the kegs exceptionally full? Could it be that your gas tube was submerged in one of the charged kegs?

If you don't have check valves installed on each of your gas lines, dropping the pressure on your regulator can cause gas from one of the higher pressurized kegs to "back flow" and if the keg is too full...that means your keg is pushing beer backwards up the gas lines.

Also, without check valves...you're right. Gas is going to equalize between the kegs unless you can shut off manifolds to each one.

I use a manifold and check valves.

BackFlow2.JPG

BackFlow4.JPG

the_bird said:
Don't those shutoffs already have check-valves built in, BM?
Unfortunately not.

They're just simple ball valves. I wihs I had a 5th valve though. Just goes to show...when you're planning, think big...then add 20%.

BierMuncher said:
Were the kegs exceptionally full? Could it be that your gas tube was submerged in one of the charged kegs?

If you don't have check valves installed on each of your gas lines, dropping the pressure on your regulator can cause gas from one of the higher pressurized kegs to "back flow" and if the keg is too full...that means your keg is pushing beer backwards up the gas lines.

Also, without check valves...you're right. Gas is going to equalize between the kegs unless you can shut off manifolds to each one.

I use a manifold and check valves.

View attachment 3308

View attachment 3309

One of the new kegs or both for that fact could be to full but I do not see any beer in the lines.
I have the same manifold as you. I also have not added any oneway valves so I think that is my problem. The un-carbed kegs sucked the carb out of the other ones because the pressure was to low.

25254377-MVC-676F.JPG

Back