soapy taste in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMbrewer

Reaction score
What can cause soapy flavor in an IPA? I have a double IPA that is good with the exception of the soapy flavor (which is not very pronounced btw, but I can tell it's there). Any comments on how to correct would be appreciated~!

Here's an explanation from John Palmer from his first version of "How to Brew" I'm not sure if he has updated his opinion since then.

"Soapy
Soapy flavors can caused by not washing your glass very well, but they can also be produced by the fermentation conditions. If you leave the beer in the primary fermentor for a relatively long period of time after primary fermentation is over ("long" depends on the style and other fermentation factors), soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub. Soap is, by definition, the salt of a fatty acid; so you are literally tasting soap."

Hm. Reading from How to Brew by John Palmer: "soapy flavors can result from the breakdown of fatty acids in the trub."

How long did you leave your DIPA in the fermentor? Any special ingredients you added that could make it like that (i.e. anything with grease in it)?

Also, you might just need a cleaner glass. Hope that is the actual fix.

Thanks Dan! I have been leaving my beers in primary for around 3 weeks. With the hop mass in the double IPA, that explanation makes sense. I did that on a tip that secondary fermentation was not really "necessary". How long should a 1.070 OG beer sit in primary in your opinion??

soapy glass is not the issue momobono....I looked at that already....pretty straight forward DIPA recipie.....is 3 weeks too long??

DSM, I'm no expert by any means, the status quo for most ales is 3-4 weeks in primary.

Agreed. And several threads on this site can advocate that extending primary fermentation out to 6 weeks can be done without flavor consequence. I've experienced it myself.

Question: did you adjust your water before you brewed? i.e. did you add any gypsum powder or baking soda as part of your recipe? A high mash pH could have contributed to the accelerated hydrolysis of fatty acids into soapy compounds.

I've had a similar taste to what you've described, it was due to chlorinated water I believe. After adding a carbon water filter to my brews, I've eliminated it.

Momobono: To bad you are on the east coast. I would enjoy a brewday with you.. Your'e pretty young 23? And I'm an old dude but when it comes to brewing and starting out... we are all newbies.

EDIT!!! That might sound gay. I am definitely not!!!

I'm drinking my first brew and it is soapy too. I am enjoying it anyway (maybe because my second brew tasted awesome when I bottled!) It's still drinkable but let's just say I don't want to share it with anyone...

So, I've been looking into this for a while because I noticed the taste as I took my OG and pitched my yeast. So obviously I can rule out leaving it too long in the primary.
I have several suspects.
1. My water is full of chlorine (my second batch was made with DI water.)
2. The hops. The soapy batch is a SMaSH with 7c's. I like them but I won't use them as bittering hops again.
3. First run on my BIAB setup. Maybe taste from the virgin bag material? Bleh...
4. The soapy beer is very hazy. I used Carageenan on my second batch so it clear as a bell. Maybe the suspended matter is giving it a bad bite.

So, when did the taste appear for you? What hops did you use?

I have a third batch 2 weeks into the primary using my tap water again. We'll see what that tastes and looks like tomorrow when I take a gravity reading.

I'm only a moderately seasoned brewer and gratuitous advisor, everyone could use the help! If I'm ever moved out to the west coast I'll hold you to that, Dan.

Another thought DSM: old, stake whole leaf hops added at DIPA hop bill levels might be a problem, too.

Breaking news: Based on an earlier comment about oil. I poured another one and let is sit while I showered. When I came back I noticed a bit of an oil sheen on the surface that I dabbed with a papertowel. The soapy taste is noticeably lessened and the bitterness comes through a lot cleaner! I don't know the source of the oil (equipment, hops, nylon processing fluid...) :eek:

Just an observation to add to the database.

I get a distinct soapy taste from Chinook hops. Any chance you used a bunch of Chinook in your beer?

I'm only a moderately seasoned brewer and gratuitous advisor, everyone could use the help! If I'm ever moved out to the west coast I'll hold you to that, Dan.

Another thought DSM: old, stake whole leaf hops added at DIPA hop bill levels might be a problem, too.

I use pellets for the most part momobono.....I'ma thinkin it's a ph issue....can't recall if I tossed any 5.2 into my mash water with this particular brew...I'm brewing a Cali common this weekend and will pay closer attention to water ph. Our city water in Des Moines is great for brewing. right outa the tap is usually best for me here!

I get a distinct soapy taste from Chinook hops. Any chance you used a bunch of Chinook in your beer?

If I recall Iffy, I used mostly Chinook.....maybe all chinook.....was looking for a double bastard type of beer. Think that woulda done it??

Latest posts

Back