Gas and water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsabrewdaddy

Reaction score
My hot water tank is in the garage and I was thinking about trying to split the water and the gas that go into the tank to use for brewing. Thoughts on this are appreciated, I'm not even sure this is possible.

Water lines aren't that difficult to tap into but the gas line i would recommend getting a plumber to do the work. If water lines leak its just a little cleanup if a gas line leaks you could blow up your house.

Just to add if you want to do the water lines you dont even need to solder any more you can pickup sharkbite fittings like this and easily tap into the water lines to your hot water tank. All you need is a copper pipe cutter to give you a smooth cut and you just press the ends into the fittings. They work well and take no more then 30 seconds to install.

Just to add if you want to do the water lines you dont even need to solder any more you can pickup sharkbite fittings like this and easily tap into the water lines to your hot water tank. All you need is a copper pipe cutter to give you a smooth cut and you just press the ends into the fittings. They work well and take no more then 30 seconds to install.

+1 on that! Those things rock. I was highly skeptical until I tried one. I never could get my ice maker water supply to seal (saddle connection). I said F'it and went and bought one of those. OMG nothing should be that easy...EVER! LOL

gas lines are not that difficult,take it apart and replace a 90 with a tee.
screw in a nipple and a valve.
from there you can use gas-tight ss flex with a quick disconnect on the end.
use a quality pipe dope like rectorseal....no teflon tape please.
check for leaks with soap solution and your done

The easiest way to tap into the gas line is to remove the drip leg which is the last dangly bit of pipe the hangs down after a tee that directs towards the gas valve. Add a close nipple, another tee, and then replace the drip nipple/cap on the bottom.

What you have to be careful of is stealing too much gas from that branch. You're really only supposed to have a single appliance per 1/2" branch off the main gas trunk. How much 1/2" pipe do you have between the water heater and the next larger pipe diameter?

Bobby_M said:
The easiest way to tap into the gas line is to remove the drip leg which is the last dangly bit of pipe the hangs down after a tee that directs towards the gas valve. Add a close nipple, another tee, and then replace the drip nipple/cap on the bottom.

What you have to be careful of is stealing too much gas from that branch. You're really only supposed to have a single appliance per 1/2" branch off the main gas trunk. How much 1/2" pipe do you have between the water heater and the next larger pipe diameter?

That all sounds so dirty. I'm not sure how exactly, but it's baaadddd.

Back