Crockpot BBQ with pickles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinning

Reaction score
I came across a recipe for bbq beef in the crockpot. The ingredients are kinda bizarre, so I thought I would ask if anyone has ever tried this.

5-6 lb beef roast
2 bottles chili sauce
1qt whole or sliced dill pickles, undrained.

Dump everything in your crockpot. Cook on high until juices start to boil, then turn to low. Cook for 15 hours. While still in the crockpot, mash the pickles, and shred the beef with a fork.

I'm going to try this tomorrow. Hope it doesn't taste like pickles!

That is a ton of pickles and pickle juice. That will be all that you will be able to taste. I don't see anyway that this could possibly be good.

I would love to hear how this turns out, I've heard of a lot of things in BBQ recipes but thats a new one. I've also canned pickles, that being said, that sounds like tons a vinegar and very little sugar, if it tastes sour I would sweeten it with some brown sugar and even a little worcester sauce ;) IMO

ok take the same roast (about 3 lbs), throw out the pickles and chili sauce and replace them with a 16oz or so jar of sliced peperoncini . . . everything else can stay the same ( add a stick of butter ) you'll love it

I'm interested in the pickle one, well both actually but I can see the pickle one almost tasting like a brisket with a vinegar base sauce on it maybe.

ok take the same roast (about 3 lbs), throw out the pickles and chili sauce and replace them with a 16oz or so jar of sliced peperoncini . . . everything else can stay the same ( add a stick of butter ) you'll love it

Just showed this to SWMBO and she agreed that we have to try it. Thanks, I'll let you know once I remember to make it. :cross:

Pickle juice is the bomb! I steam pork chops over it, put it in my bloody marys (seriously, try this some time--just a touch). I don't know that I'd dive right into that recipe but, hey...pickles!

I dropped a ghost chili into a jar of dills last week, I might have to make a small batch with a few of them.

My only question is, what is chili sauce, and how much is "a bottle"'s worth?

I think it's that stuff Heinz makes, comes in a glass jar I think. Tastes kind of like McRib sauce. I had some little meatballs in chili sauce once, they were pretty decent.

I cooked this up yesterday. I cut the recipe in half since I didn't want to ruin a huge hunk o meat. Besides the whole house smelling like pickles half the day, it actually turned out pretty good! The beef was really tender, and had just a slight pickle flavor. We put it on hoagie buns with some pepper jack, and they got a little soggy from the left over juice. I think if I were to do it again, I would drain off some of the pickle juice and add a bottle of bbq sauce towards the end to thicken everything up.

BTW, you can find Heinz chili sauce near the ketchup & bbq sauce

Also, speaking of chili sauce.... here is how to make awesome meatballs!

Mix a jar of chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly (yes, grape jelly) in your crockpot with a bag of frozen meatballs. Slow cook until the meatballs are done!!! so good!

Mix a jar of chili sauce and a jar of grape jelly (yes, grape jelly) in your crockpot with a bag of frozen meatballs. Slow cook until the meatballs are done!!! so good!

Jelly is a great product to use with meat! I use apple jelly to marinade chicken, works awesome!! grill and top with pineapple and make chicken sandwiches :)

Red current jelly, cranberry sauce, or apricot jelly works great too- add some lipton onion soup mix!

Anyway I am cooking a beef roast now, here is what I did:

I place a 3.5 pound roast in my slow cooker and added two jars of pepperchinis. Then I mixed two packs of Italian dressing mix into a pint of light Scottish ale and poured it over the beef. I turned it on low and have had it going all day.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Red current jelly, cranberry sauce, or apricot jelly works great too- add some lipton onion soup mix!

Anyway I am cooking a beef roast now, here is what I did:

I place a 3.5 pound roast in my slow cooker and added two jars of pepperchinis. Then I mixed two packs of Italian dressing mix into a pint of light Scottish ale and poured it over the beef. I turned it on low and have had it going all day.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Just wondering how this roast turned out?

Back