Are there any commercial meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately all of the meads I've found commercially are VERY expensive. I bought a 375ml bottle of an English Mead early this year for $27. Crazy. Have to start making my own soon...

We don't get much in PA because the State handles the liquor. A meadery did open recently tho. Defo plan to make my own.

Well, whenever I read a Q like this, I get a little envious.

I tried 4 different commercially made meads about 3 years ago, as a bit of a half arsed test.

They were all "quite" nice, but not. There was plenty of depth of honey flavour in the 4 I tried, but they were all cloyingly sweet. When tested with a hydrometer, they all came out IRO 1.040, despite being 14% ABV. So they must have been, IMO, over sweetened. They were all quite "syrupy" in texture as well.

Almost as if the makers have decided that because they're made with honey, that's how they should be i.e. like alcoholic, watered down honey.

I like mine to have a final gravity of no more then 1.020..........

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and the envy is connected with having access to maker like Brad at B.Nektar, or even the stuff that Ian makes at Isaaks of Salem. Skilled makers who make a varied range etc etc, not like the "copy cat" syrupy sh1te that seems to be available here...... Glad I make my own!

Agree with fb for what we get over here. I found some I like from a farm shop, but they are overly sweet even for me. I didn't really notice it untill I started my own but I've got a bottle on the go now while I wait for mine to age a bit more and it's painfully sweet by comparison.

Thanks! Guess I'll just look a little harder, I *should* be able to find one, we have a pretty good wine shop here that I bet'll have something..
Sounds like B Nektar is one I should try..?

I just picked up a bottle of Plum Melomel made by B Nektar. I got the last bottle and they only released 144 to stores (Plum Market.)

I agree with Fatbloke that most of the commercial meads are too cloying. With that being said I do like some of them. A list of the ones I like:

B Nektar- Wildberry Pyment (mix this 50/50 with some Faygo Rock+Rye soda if you like ultra foofy drinks!), Margarita Mead, Strawberry Pizzazz. I've been looking to try some Cherry Zombie Killer. I tend to like their more foofy meads rather than their straight mead varieties.

Kuhnhenn's Mead- I don't know if they distribute outside of Michigan

Red Stone- Expensive but a nice treat once and a while

Chaucer's Orange Blossom- @ $12 a bottle it is a good value compared to some of ones listed above. Not the greatest but "cleaner" than some of the OB meads from higher priced meaderys. I have a bottle that has been sitting for over a year and I wonder how improved the taste will be when I crack it open...

Drake Brother's Mead is on my list to try if I can find it in the store.

If you go to a liquor store or wine shop look for them by the ports and sherries.

I just picked up a bottle of Plum Melomel made by B Nektar. I got the last bottle and they only released 144 to stores (Plum Market.)

I agree with Fatbloke that most of the commercial meads are too cloying. With that being said I do like some of them. A list of the ones I like:

B Nektar- Wildberry Pyment (mix this 50/50 with some Faygo Rock+Rye soda if you like ultra foofy drinks!), Margarita Mead, Strawberry Pizzazz. I've been looking to try some Cherry Zombie Killer. I tend to like their more foofy meads rather than their straight mead varieties.

Drake Brother's Mead is on my list to try if I can find it in the store.

If you go to a liquor store or wine shop look for them by the ports and sherries.

Thanks! But of the B Nektar suggestions sound good, I may order some..
:)

Do order from BNektars. They have good stuff. And if you ever time it right, hit their tasting room on the first or third friday of each month.

My tastes changes from day to day, so sometimes I like their sweeter meads, and sometimes I like their dryer ones. I really like their dry cyser. I haven't gotten a chance to swing by and check out the Cherry Cyser though.

Somehow, I did like the margarita mead as well. I wasn't as impressed by the coffee mead for some reason, despite being from a place I like to buy coffee from when I'm in the area.

The wildberry mead is really good. It's like a soft red wine. The Vanilla Cinnamon one is good too, even if it's on the sweet side, it's not cloyingly sweet due to the cinnamon.

Chaucers was the one I commonly see but couldn't remember the name of.

So many choices if you can find the right outlet...

CIMG0549.JPG

CIMG0551.JPG

CIMG0554.JPG

CIMG0643.JPG

Also, if you're looking at trying various honey wines, don't neglect Ethiopian Tej. You can usually find 1-2 brands in any decent wine shop these days that has a world section.

sheba-tej-honey-wine.jpg

It's a lot like mead, but usually there's a couple of subtle differences, like with some spicing or use of ingredients indigenous to the area.

+1 on B. Nektar. I have been fortunate enough to try some of their stuff--yum. My old brew club, AABG, has a LOT of really good meaders (including Schramm, but he doesn't make too many of the meetings), and the B Nektar stuff is pretty respectable.

If you're ever in the Maine/northern New England area, Maine Mead Works in Portland makes some very good meads that are all on the drier side. Reasonably priced too; $14 a bottle if I recall correctly. They don't distribute out of state yet, but they are steadily extending their reach.

I'll second (or third) BNektar. I LOVE their Bourbon Barrel Cyser. But it is pretty pricey $23ish for a 375ml bottle. Their Orange Blossom is verry good as well.

Redstone meadery for sure... They are local, I use their bottles from the tasting room for my own,(there is always an ounce left, so I sample them every time I pick them up) they are grolsch style flip tops. Nectar of the hops, blackberry melomel, and their cyser are my favorites, they also have aged meads for 50$ per 500ml, their normal 6-8 month aged 750ml bottles are 20-30$. They ship direct to any state that allows it.

Back