Berliner fermentation schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
Just getting prepared to do my first Berliner and have most everything mentally in order except a few things. Planning on the no boil method and then pitching a white labs lacto starter a few days ahead of time. From everything I've read this is a really mild lacto strain. Given that and that lacto prefer warmer temperatures would it make sense to pitch it at around 100 F and let them do their thing while the wort slowly drops to pitching temp for the sacc? Or should I cool to 68 or so and pitch the lacto?

If anyone has ever done the apple juice starter method does this end leave any off flavors in the finished product?

Finally, when and how much brett should I pitch?

If you pitch the lacto around 100 and hold it there then wait on the sacc. for a few days you will get more lacto growth more quickly.

If you pitch them together at around 68 the lacto will grow too, but it takes longer to get the flavor from it, as in months.

If you no boil, you can completely skip the commercial lacto culture. Your wort will be full of it, and it will behave much better than the commercial variety can. As for brett, I don't use it in mine. The batch I'm bottling Monday attenuated down o 1.003 so there isn't much for the brett to munch on anyway.

I let the lacto run for three days then pitch US-05. I let mine run around 80, since that's the hottest I can get off my aquarium heater and water bath in my basement.

Thanks guys. Well, I already have the lacto and I got to do something with it. Should I go ahead and dump it in or save it in the fridge for a lambic?

From my understanding the brett adds a little more character so I was thinking of pitching a little bit in with the sacc. since I have a few current sources it would be easy to do.

El Ex, do you let the US-05 go at 80, or are you holding the lacto at 80 until you pitch the US-05 and then drop to normal fermentation range for sacc?

Lacto at 80, US-05 at 66... Use the lacto in your berliner if you have it, since a lambic is going to contain pedio, which does everything lacto does but bigger.

Right on thanks. I love the quote, that was a classic debate even though its only a week old.

Latest posts

Back