recipe opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suddy

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Working on my next batch here it is:

Weyermann Pale Wheat 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German - Aroma/Flavor Hop 4.3% AA 1 oz
Coriander Seed - 1 oz. 1 ea
White Labs Hefeweizen - WLP300 1 ea

.5 oz hallertau 60 min
.5 oz hallertau 15 min
coriander 60 min

add cubed kiwi and lime zest to primary and ferment 14 days

anyone have any suggestions?

I'd limit the wheat malt to 60% of the grist, but aside from that the recipe looks good. How much kiwi you adding? I'll be interested to hear how well the flavor comes through.

I'd probably encourage you to add those after the primary fermentation is done with. If you add them too early, the flavors will just get eaten up by the yeasties.

updated ammounts:
Weyermann Pale Wheat 4 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 3 lbs, 0 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German .5 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets, German .5 oz @ 15 mins
Coriander Seed - 1 oz. @ 60 mins
White Labs Hefeweizen

2 lbs cubed kiwi in secondary
1/2 lb lime zest in secondary

Suddy, I believe in addition to sparging difficulties the wheat malt doesn't have enough enzymes to convert the entire batches starches to sugars.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

One more thing - That coriander seed should probably be crushed and added at flameout. You'll get waaaay too much astringency if it's in there for the entire boil.

Another thing to add. I've seen recipes calling for 2 oz. lemon zest before and some people said that was too much...lime zest might be slightly different, but 1/2 pound sounds like an awful lot to me. You might want to look into this if you haven't.

One more thing - That coriander seed should probably be crushed and added at flameout. You'll get waaaay too much astringency if it's in there for the entire boil.

Cool, I was planning on crushing the coriander already. I will change it to a flame out addition.

Another thing to add. I've seen recipes calling for 2 oz. lemon zest before and some people said that was too much...lime zest might be slightly different, but 1/2 pound sounds like an awful lot to me. You might want to look into this if you haven't.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Instead of having a measured weight, he may just want to limit it to zest of X number of limes. I read earlier today on the forum a recipe with zest of 4-5 limes was really good in their brew.

I will check into that. I have not really done a lot with wheat beers. I have focused more on IPA and APA. I am attempting the make SWMBO a quaffable spring time brew.

For those keeping score the updated recipe:

Weyermann Pale Wheat 4 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 3 lbs, 0 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German .5 oz @ 60 mins
Hallertau Pellets, German .5 oz @ 15 mins
Crushed Coriander Seed - 1 oz. @ flameout
White Labs Hefeweizen WP300

2 lbs cubed kiwi in secondary
1/2 lb lime zest in secondary (could change to .2 oz)

I don't know your efficiency but I plugged this into my spreadsheet using 75% for both efficiency and yeast attenuation and at those percentages you'll have roughly 1.040 OG and 1.010 FG. 3.9% ABV, 117 calories per 12oz., 2.6 SRM., and a pretty tame hop bitterness.

I don't know your efficiency but I plugged this into my spreadsheet using 75% for both efficiency and yeast attenuation and at those percentages you'll have roughly 1.040 OG and 1.010 FG. 3.9% ABV, 117 calories per 12oz., 2.6 SRM., and a pretty tame hop bitterness.

I am at 75% efficiency. I have not plugged these into beersmith quite yet. I am daydreaming about beer at work right now. I was figuring at the 12-15 ibu range. Although it sound like the OG could be a little higher, but it is in the session beer range.:tank:

I was hoping to get into 3.0 SRM but it will work. I might add a touch of crystal 20.

A nice light wheat beer for the upcoming warmer weather? Looks good. 1/2 lb of lime zest is a lot of lime zest isn't it? I had a bad experience with citrus fruits and beer 12 years ago, so I am gun shy.

Yeah if it's 5% AA the hops will be right about 14.4 IBU or so. This will make for quality drinking in the summertime! If you get a nice, hardy belgian yeast you might be able to get the FG down to 1.008 which is prime summertime drinking gravity IMHO.

A nice light wheat beer for the upcoming warmer weather? Looks good. 1/2 lb of lime zest is a lot of lime zest isn't it? I had a bad experience with citrus fruits and beer 12 years ago, so I am gun shy.

It seems like this is the consensus. I will most likely adjust this to around 2 oz. I want the kiwi flavor to really shine with a slight citrus backend.

Keeping with style I'd probably use Munich for color adjustments. I've never been a big fan of adding Crystal malts to my Germen Hefs.

Hey Suddy, take a look through this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

It's a summer blonde with lemon zest. It should help you get an idea how to use them and how much. It looks like the size of zest also matters. Chunks of zest vs. using an actual zester is different. I was planning to do a wheat beer with some lemon zest and I was planning on 1 oz. of finely grated zest. I only want the subtlest of hint from it though.

Either way, however you do it I'd like to hear your results as I've been interested in the lemon/lime idea for a bit.

Hey Suddy, take a look through this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

It's a summer blonde with lemon zest. It should help you get an idea how to use them and how much. It looks like the size of zest also matters. Chunks of zest vs. using an actual zester is different. I was planning to do a wheat beer with some lemon zest and I was planning on 1 oz. of finely grated zest. I only want the subtlest of hint from it though.

Either way, however you do it I'd like to hear your results as I've been interested in the lemon/lime idea for a bit.

The more I research the more I am leaning to the 1 oz mark of the lime zest. Or perhaps do it in terms of 3-4 limes. From the post you gave the the OP stated that limes were much more bitter.....this makes me a little nervous. I might do a split batch and try one with the lime zest and one with lemon zest. I think the kiwi will be FTW though.

Sounds like a plan to me Suddy! Your recipe looks good, I look forward to hearing your success!

Back