5-10 minute mash, two hour sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
So I finally get a tour of a local brew pub that I frequent (a lot) who has great brews. Asking all sorts of questions like a good homebrewer should. A couple things that struck me as interesting. 1st off, they use hop pellets as opposed to fresh. He said getting the qty he needed and making sure they were fresh was a problem. Other interesting thing although he's got all the cool equipment to keep his fermentation at the right temp was a 8-10 day ferment (conical naturally) and then a 4 day rest at 30 degrees.

The big thing that struck me was he said he used to do a 90 minute mash and then sparge. Now he does a 5-10 minute mash and 2 hour sparge and gets the same efficiency as the old school way. He said "I've been doing some reading" and he claims has reduced his off flavors (husk) by doing it this way and reduced the time window. Just thought it interesting and would share. Not sure if I'm going to try it but... Also, single step infusion. Forgot to ask of his mash out temp but I'd assume it would be at mash temps.

http://www.thundercanyonbrewery.com/brewery.htm

desertBrew said:
So I finally get a tour of a local brew pub that I frequent (a lot) who has great brews. Asking all sorts of questions like a good homebrewer should. A couple things that struck me as interesting. 1st off, they use hop pellets as opposed to fresh. He said getting the qty he needed and making sure they were fresh was a problem. Other interesting thing although he's got all the cool equipment to keep his fermentation at the right temp was a 8-10 day ferment (conical naturally) and then a 4 day rest at 30 degrees.

The big thing that struck me was he said he used to do a 90 minute mash and then sparge. Now he does a 5-10 minute mash and 2 hour sparge and gets the same efficiency as the old school way. He said "I've been doing some reading" and he claims has reduced his off flavors (husk) by doing it this way and reduced the time window. Just thought it interesting and would share. Not sure if I'm going to try it but... Also, single step infusion. Forgot to ask of his mash out temp but I'd assume it would be at mash temps.

http://www.thundercanyonbrewery.com/brewery.htm

Wow...I just saw this post. VERY INTERESTING about the short mashes.

I read a thread on shorter mashes on another board recently as well and found it extremely interesting. I'm going to experiment wiht that one of these days.
My main project in the future is to figure out my water and how to get the PH right. I've read more and more about water lately and I think it is highly under-rated on how it can affect the quality of the beer. For some reason I'm not feeling like my AG batches are of much better quality than my extract batches were. I'm wondering if its the water.

But anyway...sorry for the rant....interesting info here.....thanks for posting it DB!

The water has got me more think to. I have done a read everything I could find on the internet,but I want to know more. Short 10 mash and 2 hour sparge very intresting. Going to have to read up on this some now.

I agree on the water thing as well. I'll test my PH of the mash and it always seems fine. I add gypsum and try and adjust my sparge PH down, test it but I still feel like I'm shooting blindly with my techniques.

Forgot to ask this guy about water and what he does since we're using the same baseline water. I'm going to ask him when I go there for Thirsty Thursday 2.50 pint night :drunk:

Back