Improving a Black Rock Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Hey all, Grrr my all grain set up isn’t done yet! The Guy who is welding my kettles is taking his sweet time. Price was right though so who am I to complain! I was enjoying a nice stout last night and got to thinking that a good stout would compliment my red ale on tap. So off to the local brew store. The only stout extract kit they had was Black Rock Miners stout. Has anyone on here made this kit before? I was wondering if I would add a little to improve it. Maybe some black patent malt, caramel malt and some licorice root? Perhaps some fuggles hops? I have a number of friends who like Guinness and I think I can open there minds to a tastier stout. Ideas anyone?

Cheers Wing Nut

I've always been partial to a good dose of roasted malt, say maybe 3/4 # or so. You could add some roasted and decrease the amount of black patent you are thinking of adding as well. Just my 2$ worth.

Back