Munich helles stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethmutt

Reaction score
Brewed a brewers best kit of Munich Helles on the night of the 12th. I knew I should have made a starter for it but was lazy and pitched the yeast pack that came with the kit instead. Now it's the 16th and I have no activity. Carboy is in a chiller holding at 50 degrees. Yeast was pitched about 60. I was wondering what the best yeast would be to repitch? Wlp860? Or wyeast 2352? I need to save this one as its my first lager and cannot accept failure!!!

Brewed a brewers best kit of Munich Helles on the night of the 12th. I knew I should have made a starter for it but was lazy and pitched the yeast pack that came with the kit instead. Now it's the 16th and I have no activity. Carboy is in a chiller holding at 50 degrees. Yeast was pitched about 60. I was wondering what the best yeast would be to repitch? Wlp860? Or wyeast 2352? I need to save this one as its my first lager and cannot accept failure!!!

What's the current SG?

I haven't opened it to take a reading. I'll take one when I crack it to repitch, but don't want to be opening it too much.

No activity in the airlock means nothing, I would be shocked if you have had no fermentation, you could have missed it, there could be a leak in the seal, it could be anything, a gravity reading is the only way to know where you stand.

if you just pitch one pack, you'd be wise to follow the yeast manufacturer's instructions

1 - hold around 65 until you see signs of fermentation
2 - cool to desired primary temperature (around 50 degrees typically)

if you don't do this, you'll increase your chances of a butter/sulfur bomb.

if it was me, i would take a gravity reading and if it hasn't moved, raise the temperature until i see signs of fermentation.

Gravity reading hasn't moved. Gonna try to bring temp up and see wht happens like you said. Thanks for help.

Sulphur bomb???

Raised it 4 degrees and it took off like a rocket!! Thanks for the advice! :)

Raised it 4 degrees and it took off like a rocket!! Thanks for the advice! :)

awesome. but i'm confused how it took off in 11 minutes. it may have just been bubbles from the temperature change itself. look at the beer itself.

bring it back down now when you see signs of fermentation (some bubbles around the surface of the beer)

you may want to raise it up to 68-72 when you hit 75% attenuation. diacetyl seems fairly likely to me.

Yup I guess it was just bubbles from moving it out if chiller to take gravity reading. Seems to be stuck again. Gonna pitch some more yeast tomorrow.

Back