Super foam from bottles with minimal "aging"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
I've brewed about 50-some batches at this point, and along the way I have stashed some of these beers for extended "aging" just to see how they respond to time. Unfortunately, I haven't had much success with this. I haven't had any bottle bombs or anything, but nearly every one of these beers has been way overcarbed - as in, I have glass that is entirely foam and it will take me 30min to pour the whole bottle out. At first I thought I was using too much priming sugar, but the bottles are fine for the first two months. It's only after 2+ months that they get out of hand.

The strangest circumstance of this happening was with a vanilla imperial stout I bottled last october that I only used .5C of corn sugar for priming. I hammered through most of it before the new year, but wanting to save some, I kept a six pack in our 50deg basement. I figured that would be the perfect temp for storing these long term. But sure enough, last night I cracked one open and it foamed all over the place.

For what it's worth, I always use corn sugar and oxygen barrier caps for 5 gal batches.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that my bottles are consistently getting contaminated during bottling?

Thanks in advance!

You have an infection. There's really minimal reasons why beer foams in bottles. Too much sugar, bottling too soon, opening too soon while the co2 hasn't been fully in solution, and an infection. That's really it.

Back