Small Scales - 0.1 vs 0.01 gram resolution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tried searching, but almost every scale thread I can find revolves around scales for all-grain measuring, and don't talk too much about the needed resolution. I'm looking for a scale to be used primary for weighing sugar, hops, and for the wife to scale down large cooking recipes. If I go AG eventually, I'd buy a separate scale.

I found the American Weigh BL-1KG-BLK (max 1000g, 0.1g increments) at Amazon for $9.49 shipped. Looks good to me. Very similar to the American Weight blade scale (max 600g, 0.1g increments) sold at More Beer, but at less than 1/3rd the price.

Alternatively, I can get the American Weigh BL2-100-BLK (max 100g, 0.01g increments) for $14.29.

I'm going to get the first one because the 100g limit on the second seems limiting (1 cup of granulated sugar is 189g). However, I may still buy the second one for fine measuring.

Has anybody here ever found the need for 0.01g resolution on a brewing scale?

Last edited by a moderator:
My scale has 1 gram resolution and I find that adequate for all hop measurements. I think .01 would be a bit overkill unless you are brewing extremely small batches.

I got mine for less than $20 at a local shop that sells bulk tobacco. It weighs up to 5 pounds in imperial or metric. Resolution to the nearest 1 gram should be accurate enough for any brewer. Plus if you go AG, no need to get another scale.

My scale has 1 gram resolution and I find that adequate for all hop measurements. I think .01 would be a bit overkill unless you are brewing extremely small batches.

Thanks! That's great news.

I noticed 1oz = 28.35 grams, so a scale with resolution of 0.1 grams reports changes as small as 1/284th of an out. Makes sense.

I have a sneaking suspicion I know why the 0.01 resolution scale exists... :eek:

I got mine for less than $20 at a local shop that sells bulk tobacco. It weighs up to 5 pounds in imperial or metric. Resolution to the nearest 1 gram should be accurate enough for any brewer. Plus if you go AG, no need to get another scale.

This one holds 2.2 lb, so in a pinch, I could just measure twice. Again, don't plan to AG, but who does?

thadius856 said:
This one holds 2.2 lb, so in a pinch, I could just measure twice. Again, don't plan to AG, but who does?

Sounds like you need to go to Home Depot to get a cooler!

No pressure, just a little sarcastic observation. Lots of "ifs and maybes " in your reference to AG. Seriously tho, kegging was the best thing to happen to me since starting this hobby. Bottling sucks. And I still do extract sometimes even though I have a 15g AG system.

I have both. I bought the 0.01 scale for winemaking but I do like to use it for weighing hops and salts for water adjustments. For these purposes, the 0.1 scale would probably be just fine though. And the 0.1 is the scale I use for weighing priming sugar.

No pressure, just a little sarcastic observation. Lots of "ifs and maybes " in your reference to AG.

Noted. ;)

I have both. I bought the 0.01 scale for winemaking but I do like to use it for weighing hops and salts for water adjustments. For these purposes, the 0.1 scale would probably be just fine though. And the 0.1 is the scale I use for weighing priming sugar.

Awesome. Thanks!

If you want really tight weights, check out reloading supplies.
typical measurements are 0.1 grains. There are 7,000 grains in a pound. An electric scale might be able to display different units.

If you want really tight weights, check out reloading supplies.
typical measurements are 0.1 grains. There are 7,000 grains in a pound. An electric scale might be able to display different units.

A couple of my buddies reload. I, for one, am too chicken @#%$ to do it.

Occasionally I'll go out to the range and pick up brass for them. I had been considering getting a tumbler to clean it and resell it on eBay, but that was before this site started taking up all of my free time! ;)

The only reason you may need a higher resolution scale than the standard Escali Primo for brewing purposes would be for measuring water additions.

I cannot imagine what cookie recipes you need to scale down using such a high resolution scale, either. Unless you are scaling down to one cookie, in which case good luck with that egg.

Last edited by a moderator:

A .1 gram scale is great, and you don't need anything more minute. I found that the only time I even measure to .1 gram is when I make soap- even my water additions with AG brewing are to the nearest gram.

A couple of my buddies reload. I, for one, am too chicken @#%$ to do it.

Occasionally I'll go out to the range and pick up brass for them. I had been considering getting a tumbler to clean it and resell it on eBay, but that was before this site started taking up all of my free time! ;)

Pay attention and at least for starters steer clear of powders that don't at least fill the case 2/3 the way ( can't double charge that way).
It's fun and you can dial in the loads and bullet selection to best fit your rifle and your needs.

Don't start with Black Powder cartridge loads either.

It would be a great reason to get that anal accuracy scale!

Pay attention and at least for starters steer clear of powders that don't at least fill the case 2/3 the way ( can't double charge that way).
It's fun and you can dial in the loads and bullet selection to best fit your rifle and your needs.

Don't start with Black Powder cartridge loads either.

It would be a great reason to get that anal accuracy scale!

Mostly a 9mm and .22 shooter. 9mm when I can afford it, .22 when I can't.

Only really shoot because I want to qualify Marksman on the Baretta M9 when I get to deploy.

Good reason to shoot, and good reason not to reload.
Can't do 22 and the 9mm isn't worth it at the price of ammo vs. the cost, time and accuracy gain of reloading.

I did just go get myself a 1911-22 to shoot winter league and improve my shooting skills. Same size and weight as a standard 1911, but dirt cheap to shoot.

Good luck on the deployment and thanks for the service!!

Save your nerves and get a 0.1 scale.
I bought 0.01 and it drives me insane to get that last null :D

0.1 grams are plenty for everything i need. i have the scale in the link and it only goes to 0.5 grams, which sort of bugs me.

i got my 0.1 scale at a headshop of all places! cheap digital scale.

Don't forget that resolution of the readout is only part of the problem. The accuracy of the scale and repeatability of measurement are two important items to check out also.

Don't forget that resolution of the readout is only part of the problem. The accuracy of the scale and repeatability of measurement are two important items to check out also.

I bought a set of calibration weights on eBay for $15 or so and can verify the accuracy of my scale from time to time.

A .1 gram scale is great, and you don't need anything more minute. I found that the only time I even measure to .1 gram is when I make soap- even my water additions with AG brewing are to the nearest gram.
For winemaking, the dry malolactic culture I buy comes in a 1.5 gram packet that's good for 66 gallons. I often split this among an assortment of 1 and 6 gallon jugs/carboys and it's impossible to do with a 0.1 scale. I've tried. I've also found that the 0.01 scale allows me to be much more precise with my sulfite additions, especially when I'm dealing with smaller jugs. That's important to me. Others may not be as concerned.

Again, I agree the 0.01 scale is generally unnecessary for brewing.
That said, my experience with my 0.1 scale indicates that even though it may advertise a resolution of 0.1, it isn't very accurate below 1.0 gram. E.g., it reads nothing and then jumps straight to 0.4 or something. You may want to consider the 0.01 scale if you need accuracy below 1 gram, like when measuring out sulfite powder to remove chloramines from tap water used for starters, etc.

My small scale has .1 gram, but .001 oz, accuracy. Does a great job for all the things I use it for. I typically use ounce measure for hops, and such. Sometimes I'll use gram measure for chemical additions though.

I do have a 20 gram and 50 gram calibration weights I could use to check the scale... They're from my powder scale (reloading). :D

[getting on my soapbox]

One must be careful to note the difference between "precision" and "accuracy". In this context, "precision" means how many digits are shown (0.1 vs 0.001). "Accuracy" means how close the measurement is to the true actual weight/mass of the object being measured. Precision may be nice, but I don't think the accuracy of the 0.1 vs. 0.001 scales will be much different (and likely above the precision of the instrument) unless you're paying a lot of money.

[off soapbox]

[getting on my soapbox]

One must be careful to note the difference between "precision" and "accuracy". In this context, "precision" means how many digits are shown (0.1 vs 0.001). "Accuracy" means how close the measurement is to the true actual weight/mass of the object being measured. Precision may be nice, but I don't think the accuracy of the 0.1 vs. 0.001 scales will be much different (and likely above the precision of the instrument) unless you're paying a lot of money.

[off soapbox]

The accuracy and precision on the scale I mentioned are the same. :p

Again, I agree the 0.01 scale is generally unnecessary for brewing.
That said, my experience with my 0.1 scale indicates that even though it may advertise a resolution of 0.1, it isn't very accurate below 1.0 gram. E.g., it reads nothing and then jumps straight to 0.4 or.

Sounds like youre experiencing auto-tare. Its a acale "feature".

The workaround for small amounts is to tare the container, then add some nickels or calibration weights, then measure from there.

Almost? Don't you want to know?

Mint condition nickels are 5g. They get lighter as they wear.

Ancients made beer with primitive tools, nowhere near the accuracy of modern scales. Will probably be find unless im trying to measure out fractions of Campden Tablets in small batches.

Mint condition nickels are 5g. They get lighter as they wear.

Ancients made beer with primitive tools, nowhere near the accuracy of modern scales. Will probably be find unless im trying to measure out fractions of Campden Tablets in small batches.

If I want that small a unit of measure, I'd probably break out the powder scale. :D

Sounds like youre experiencing auto-tare. Its a acale "feature".

The workaround for small amounts is to tare the container, then add some nickels or calibration weights, then measure from there.

Nope, I have the recommended calibration weight and I know how to tare. I sprinkle some sulfite powder: 0.0g. Sprinkle some more: 0.0g. Sprinkle some more: 0.6g. It's just not very sensative or accurate at the bottom of it's range. If I need 0.1g accuracy, and not just 0.1g precision, I'm using my 0.01 scale. YMMV.

I use the UltraShip 55... Got it from William's Brewing a while back. They had it listed as the UltraShip 35, but I got the 55 model (paid for the 35 too). :rockin: Less than the one at BB&B and great for weighing grain out. :D For smaller items, I use the Jennings 11oz scale. I also have an 11# scale from BB&B I got over a decade ago. It's slow to react to small volumes, which makes it a PITA for weighing hops and such. The Jennings does a great job for hops and my grain additions that are less than 10oz. :fro:

Latest posts

Back