aged hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javier25

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase some aged hops. Preferably, Hallertauer Hersbrucker, EK Goldings, fuggles, etc.... maybe someone might have some you want to get rid of? I'm finding it rather difficult to find online.

I have some aged leaf hops, I think they were crystal. I got mine from Hops Direct. You could see if they have any or you can PM me and we can figure out a decent price.

You can also artificially age your hops in the oven, and I know at least a few people have had luck just sticking them in a brown paper bag and putting them in a moderately warm place for a while.

Sorry for such a bad question, but why would one want aged hops?

Well the answer is probably not obvious. Aged hops are typically used to make sour beers, notably lambic/gueuze, where the intent is not to convey any hop aroma or flavor to the beer, but still get some of the bittering and preservative properties from the hops.

weirdboy said:
Well the answer is probably not obvious. Aged hops are typically used to make sour beers, notably lambic/gueuze, where the intent is not to convey any hop aroma or flavor to the beer, but still get some of the bittering and preservative properties from the hops.

Ah. Thanks. Why not a single addition at 60? Typically not alot of flavor with a FWH or 60 min additon.

Ah. Thanks. Why not a single addition at 60? Typically not alot of flavor with a FWH or 60 min additon.

You can find some "american sour" brewers that use regular ol' low alpha hops with a single, small addition at 60 minutes or whatever, too, although traditional lambic brewers use aged hops. I think it is one of those things that is probably more philosophical or traditional than based on any scientific reasoning. If you look at (for example) a typical Scottish ale you'll see that you can use pretty much any hop variety you want in it, and because you're only pitching a miniscule quantity it has no impact whatsoever on the actual beer. I would wager you could do the same thing with a lambic, too.

I have some aged leaf hops, I think they were crystal. I got mine from Hops Direct. You could see if they have any or you can PM me and we can figure out a decent price.

I found some willamette at freshhops. but I don't know if I will get those. that crystal is sounding pretty interesting. I may hit you up on that.

Unless you are spontaneously fermenting you don't gain anything by using aged hops over a small addition at the start of the boil to get around 8-10 IBUs.

Unless you are spontaneously fermenting you don't gain anything by using aged hops over a small addition at the start of the boil to get around 8-10 IBUs.

i'm actually not doing a boil. if anything, i may steep some specialty grains at 150 for about 15 minutes. but that's only a maybe, I haven't quite figured out the complete recipe. But I do agree with your statement, but in consideration.

Back