Grain Mill Motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrand

Reaction score
I'm looking to motorize my new BC mill and have been looking at different alternatives. While searching I came across some inexpensive DC gear motor's that appear to have the required specifications.

http://www.3rivers.net/~cmac/gearmotors/ast-1471-5.htm

Does anyone have experience with these or is there something I'm missing as to why they are not more widely used?

1.6RPM, you want like 175RPM or you'll be there all day waiting for crush. Increasing the RPM will affect your torque, too.

1/2" low speed drill from Harbor Freight is the same price and many use them. They have locking triggers, just plug into switched outlet and you have similar setup.

The 1.6 should read 160. It appears to be a misprint. I already have a corded DeWalt but I'd rather have a dedicated motor.

I'd say it sounds good then. Do you have a DC power source for it?

I thought it sounded like a lot of torque for a DC motor, but I'm no expert

Checking into it more it looks like it's 100:1 reduction - used for feeding stove pellets. My bad. Back to the drill.

Back