Boo Chicken Bitter (8A Ordinary Bitter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1882 PC Thames Valley II
Yeast Starter
1 litre
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68 degrees
Additional Fermentation
19 days @ 33 degrees
Tasting Notes
moderate bitterness; hop flavour noticeable but reserved; overall well balanced
7 # Maris Otter
0.5# crystal 45

155 degrees for 60 minutes
170 degrees for 10 minutes

0.5 oz Northern Brewer (13.7% AA) 60 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.1% AA) 20 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.1% AA) 5 minutes
Irish Moss (5 minutes)

Boo Chicken Bitter.jpg

People seem to really like this beer--very easy drinking as one would expect. This past weekend I brewed a slight variation of this; with one pound of crystal 45 instead of half a pound and an ounce of Fuggles at 25 minutes instead of the dual Fuggles additions (still had the 0.5 oz NB for 60 mins).

How do you like the second version compared to the original recipe you posted?
I typically use a little bit of biscuit in my bitters but might change it up a little next time.

Ended up giving my keg of the second one away to a buddy; he's crazy about it. Guess you would expect less hop flavour/aroma without the late Fuggles addition; that's probably more on style anyway. A bit sweeter with the extra crystal 45 too. Both beers were very well received.

Boo Chicken? Is that to not be confused with Chicken Boo?

You wear a disguise to look like human guys, but youre not a man, youre a chicken..... boo.

This particular beer was made with Wyeast 1882, but I wouldn't hesitate to use S-04 if you like dry yeast or any other British Wyeast.

Boo Chicken? Is that to not be confused with Chicken Boo?

You wear a disguise to look like human guys, but youre not a man, youre a chicken..... boo.

Nice Animaniacs reference. They just started making a comeback on the HUB of Verizon FIOS. Pinky and the Brain are still my favorites from the series.

Back