digital thermometer + 1/2" NPT hole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
Hi,
upgrading my system, going to a direct fire mashtun. Just cut the tops off the kegs gonna have couplings welded, but have a question.

I'm currently using something like this in my cooler mashtun: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XSC5/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone configured a keg mashtun (or anything with a 1/2" npt coupling) to take one of these probes? Wondering if its feasible, otherwise ill just go with a bremometer type therm, but i love the digitals....

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
But if I went with those probes, what would I use to read the temp? I don't want a fancy controller system. Just want to read the temps.

If it were me and i was dead set on using that probe and readout id make a enclosure out of some 3/8 copper pipe 2-3" long, like the stuff we make wort chillers out of. Using leadless solder put a cap on one end, then get a 3/8 - 1/2npt compression fitting for the other end. Stick the probe in there with some sort of epoxy or loosely would work to.

You could try http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20_3.
But ya, no ones addressed the fact that you will probably need a controller for one of those probes. My understanding is these probes work by varying resistance as the temp goes up or down, the controller sends a voltage and reads what comes through. Its likely ur taylor controller has a proprietary calibration and any other probe will read off.

That said, i suggest if you like how ur current probe and readout works, just find a way to get it into ur mashtun. I use a taylor dial thermometer in my mashtun. I simply inserted it into a 1/4 by 1/4npt compression fitting with a brass bushing thing to fill the gap. Its possible ur probe is the same diameter, if so a trip to the hardware store is all u need.

IMG_2927 (2).jpg

Back