First All Grain brew today!! feels great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
So today i took the plunge into AG after 3 months of brewing. Built my self a cooler MLT, an 8 gallon kettle with valve and a CF chiller. Used my old partial boil pot to prepare hot liquor, till. Can afford another 8gallon w valve. Hit my mash temp like a champ and only lost 2 degrees in 70 minutes! Ran off, double batch sparged, and began my boil. Today was a 5oz. IPA brew. So i flamed out connected the Cf and began filling the carboy. Next thing, NO FLOW! Clogged my homemade kettle screen(8 in stainless braid on a 1/2 male fitting into my weld on) wouldnt unclog, so i used my spoon to pop it outta place. CF chiller worked awesome brought my hooch down to 62 degrees no problem, but now ive got 5 gallons of hop clouded wort. Think itll settle out and taste ok after 2 weeks pr, 2 weeks sec with dry hop last 10 days?? Any tips on a better homegrown kettle screen?

HBT has made me confident enough to go all grain and im glad i did. Not gonna let a minor noob folley get in my way! Cheers!

Sent from my MB502 using Home Brew Talk

THe best advice I can give you is to build a hop spider and use some 5 gallon paint strainer bags. Ive been brewing that way for 5 years. Works great and super cheap/easy

Try 3 weeks in the primary to let the trub settle well, then dry hop, either in the primary or secondary. I quit trying to keep the hop goop out and just dump it all in. It all settles out over time.

wedge421 said:
THe best advice I can give you is to build a hop spider and use some 5 gallon paint strainer bags. Ive been brewing that way for 5 years. Works great and super cheap/easy

A hop spider,,, i guess ill do some research... gotta say i neva heard of it!

Congrats!!.....got my first AG in the fermenter today also.:mug: Used the BIAB method and it worked well for me. I use a cheesecloth bag to contain my hops, but thats with pellet hops. I don't know if it would work that well with whole hops, or if they need more "room to move".
I'm with you....AG all the way from now on!

Been brewing all grain for a few years now but part for me is the smell after mash in. My wife hates it so that keeps her out of the brewery when Im brewing.

flatrockbrewing said:
Been brewing all grain for a few years now but part for me is the smell after mash in. My wife hates it so that keeps her out of the brewery when Im brewing.

Haha! My whole family always thries to get in on the fun. My kids love helping us cook and such so when it comes time to brew i have 3 little apprentices! The oldest is a mash in expert, the next one times and adds the hops and the youngest can smack a wyeast bag like a champ! Now what job can i give the baby when hes more mobile......

I was up till 4am brewing last night. I say, start earlier in the day in case the clean up and stuff takes you over your time limits..... and don't go out to dinner instead of starting up brewing too!

I too did my first AG (BIAB) today, started at 6 am. Could'nt sleep so I got up and got on with it. Had the ingrediants for BM Centennial Blonde waiting for the right time and today was the day. Super easy and lots of fun actually. I cant wait to see what everybody is bragging about.:rockin:

Nice man, i too was amped up to get brewing. At sunrise but kids and work pushed it off till lunch. I finished with minute to spare before my son's last cubscout campout. All the guys are expecting some awesome IPA in a few weeks. I used 3oz of chinook and 2oz simcoe at boil and there will be another oz of each dry hop. Should be tasty!

Brewed up my IPA yesterday. I have been doing the BIAB no sparge method for about 6 months now. I dont see me ever doing another extract brew.

Congrats!

Back