Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarous

Reaction score
Hey everybody I just have to say that I'm sorry in advance because I'm sure there are lots of threads about this already but here it is. I'm currently dry hopping an ipa I made and the hop pellets have been in my secondary for nearly a week now at ambient temps (mid to high 60s) my question is how long should I leave them in there and do I basically have to wait for them to fall out of suspension?

A week is fine for flavor. For clarity, cold crash it so they'll drop out before you package.

Yep, just what I do...Dry hop for a week and then cold crash for a couple of days so the pellets settle to the bottom.

I use a paint strainer bag over the racking cane to prevent any stray particles that might get the keg or bottling bucket. Works great.

Cool, thanks for the quick responses everyone but just one more question how long do you guys usually cold crash 2 or 3 days?

I'll throw this question in here, i got lots of spare room in my refrigerator so im thinking of cold crashing my primary in there. Is it necesarry to pitch more yeast for carbonation fermentation in bottles afterwards or is there enough yeast in suspension after 2-3 days at ~45 fahrenheit.

And a secondary question popped up now, is that too warm to have any significant effect?

That will still settle out alot of yeast. I have cold crashed in the 40s a few times when I had other stuff going in the fermentation fridge. Even if you crash down to 30 you won't get 100% of the yeast to drop out. I've never had to repitch for carbonation but i know some pros do it.

Back