Dehusked Carafa II for Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So unfortunately I ordered the wrong ingredient - I ordered the normal Carafa II, and not the de-husked / de-bittered version, that you are supposed to use as a specialty grain for a black IPA. Is it possible to steep the normal Carafa II as specified by the recipe (extract), but perhaps just leave it in for less time? Maybe last 5-10 minutes of steeping? I don't want to impart the "acrid" or "astringent" flavors that are accompany this type of grain. Any suggestions on how I can use the grain in this manner?

Thanks!

Not sure about steeping, but I know that some guys do that when mashing so it would stand to reason that you could. You aren't really looking for sugars as much as a colourant and only a bit of flavor. I'd go for it and if it doesn't appear that there is enough color quite yet then let it steep another 5 mins.

I thought carafa II was dehusked and debittered.

Not unless its "special"

Weyermann Website said:
CARAFA® Special
Question Why does CARAFA® Special (de-husked) Chocolate Malt have a smoother flavor than does regular CARAFA®? Could you provide some detail on the Carafa® dehusked malts--methodology, how and why the dehusked barley is smoother in flavor. It is definitely evident while tasting the malt.
Answer Roasting germinated barley tends to scorch the grain's husks and give the finished malt a slightly, or even severely, burnt flavor. Some dark beers, however, taste much better -- at least according to some brewers and consumers -- without the bitterness that comes from scorched husks. We at Weyermann have found a way, therefore, to remove most -- though not all -- of the husks before sending the barley through the malting plant and into the roasting drum. The de-husking process is similar to commercial rice polishing. It is desirable, howver, to leave about 40% of the husk material intact, because the husks also protect the kernel from damage. The de-husked finished malt is our CARAFA® Special. Like our regular CARAFA® (the roasted malt with all the husks), we make CARAFA® Special available in three color variations: Type I with a color rating of approximately 300 - 340 °L, Type II with a color rating of approximately 375 - 450 °L, and Type III with a color rating of approximately 490 - 560 °L. .

Thanks for the tips.

I dunked the Carafa II in for the last 10 minutes of steeping - definitely got most of the color out, will be curious to see how this affects the flavor, vs. de-husked. It looks super dark right now, looks and smells great, sitting in primary at the moment.

A little late to the party here but if you have any of this left, take a look at it and see if it has husks. The regular Carafa is very hard to find in the US IME and I have noticed a few retailers will carry the Carafa Special and leave off the "Special" since it is the only kind they carry.

A visual inspection tells the story quickly.

I have used non-de-husked dark grains in CDAs by steeping them in COLD water overnight in the fridge, then adding this "cold wort" to the end of the boil.

Slightly roasty flavor and lots of dark color without astringency.

Back