Matilda Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdstrobe

Reaction score
I'm trying to look for an extract recipe for Goose Island's Matilda beer. I've done a search on here and found that it should be a mix between an Orval and a Duval so to my calculations it should be:

83% pils
5% caramunich
12% candy sugar (these are flexible to reach the OG that I need to reach a 7% ABV)

90 min boil
Styrian @ 75
Saaz @ 15
Saaz @ FO (probably going to use whole)

Belgian Strong Ale yeast (don't know the particular strain, etc)

I heard that you should ferment it at with the strong ale yeast and then transfer to a secondary and add Brett? (not sure what that is either, is that a strain?)

Does anyone else have a closer clone recipe for Matilda or will mine suffice? I'm also looking for three different but similar recipes for this kind of beer because I think I may brew 3 2-gallon batches of this to see which one comes out closer to the real deal.

Thanks in advance for everyone's comment.

Sounds like you are on the right track, although I'd probably back the CaraMunich down to 5% and up the pils. Also, table sugar is fine to use in a pale beer like this (plus it is much cheaper).

Brett(anomyces) is a different species of yeast that adds complex fruity and funky flavors to some Belgian beers. Brett bruxellensis is the strain you want, both Wyeast or White Labs carry it. I think its easiest to pitch in primary along with your primary strain, but you can wait and pitch in secondary if you want a milder character. Brett works slowly, so age the beer for a few months (until the gravity stabilizes) before bottling.

Good luck.

Recipe notes from the GI's website

Recipe Information:
Style: Belgian Style Pale Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 7%
International Bitterness Units: 32
Color: Golden Sunrise
Hops: Styrian, Saaz
Malts: 2-Row, Caramel

I'm definitely going to want a milder flavor for the Brett (I think). Possibly in one of my 2 gallon fermenters, I use Brett in the Primary and then another I use it in the secondary, etc.

Cellar notes would be to age for 5 years. I'll age but I'll obviously want to try some along the way. :)

did anyone ever find a good extract clone of this? I had it last night and I am in heaven...

did anyone ever find a good extract clone of this? I had it last night and I am in heaven...

I made this recipe that I posted above about a week after I posted it using the above ingredients. It's been aging about 8 months now. It was great, because I was so busy doing other brews that I totally forgot about this one.

Opened up one last night and I was in heaven as well. Haven't compared it to the actual GI's Matilda but I think it's pretty close.

Above ingredients are pretty close to the real deal IMO.

can you give you actual grain/extract bill? How much(lbs) of each did you use? HOw much of the hops?

I'm pretty noobtastic.

2ce2nx2.jpg
[/IMG]

Back