Belgian Beer Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the taste is or what contributes to the taste of certain Belgian Style beers like "Merry Monk Ale" from Weyerbacher or Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic

Its a sour tangy flavor that I don't mind in small doses - the Merry Monks is ok if temp and carb level is right (I mix them up a little)

I recently had a Corsendonk Christman Ale that has very little or none of this flavor?
I want to brew some Belgian style ales soon and would like to minimize that flavor either with yeast selection, the ommision of sour components etc.

Conversely I would like spicy and complex - does a higher temp contribute to a more complex profile or just more fruity?

Has anyone done non-airlocked fermentations? ie cheese cloth on a bucket?

Thanks

The yeast and bacteria used affect the flavor profile. Fermentation temps also affect the flavor profile. I would suggest reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow and the article on Belgian beers in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO.

trinitone said:
The yeast and bacteria used affect the flavor profile. Fermentation temps also affect the flavor profile. I would suggest reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow and the article on Belgian beers in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO.

Yeah, the Belgians often use old wooden casks to ferment their beers, resulting in various off-tastes getting into the beer.

Back