Suggestions for this simple IIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
CCB IIPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-C India Pale Ale, Imperial IPA

Min OG: 1.075 Max OG: 1.108
Min IBU: 60 Max IBU: 100
Min Clr: 8 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.75 Wort Size (Gal): 5.75
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.16
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.77
Anticipated SRM: 9.7
Anticipated IBU: 74.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %
Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -60 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
93.1 14.11 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Rahr America 1.036 2
6.9 1.05 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Amarillo Pellet 8.00 13.3 First WH
0.75 oz. Magnum Pellet 14.70 45.7 100 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 7.5 40 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 5.0 30 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 3.3 20 min.
1.50 oz. Amarillo Pellet 8.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-05 SafAle California

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs: 15.16
Total Water Qts: 27.29 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 6.82 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 68.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sacc. 5 60 152 152 Infuse 161 27.29 1.80
Mashout 20 5 168 168 Direct --- ------- ----

I'll bite. I find that I like a slightly lighter Crystal in my IIPA, otherwise after the longer boil it comes out a little bit higher SRM than originally anticipated. I tried to make one about 9SRM and it came out to about 12ish or so. Granted, you are using a herms system and shouldn't change the color, right? Also, as much as I have wanted to go with a single malt and a little crystal, I always enjoy using a little bit of rye or some flaked something to add with a little bit of smoothness and body. Rye is one of those flavors that adds some extra maltiness to me.

Good luck.

I'll bite. I find that I like a slightly lighter Crystal in my IIPA, otherwise after the longer boil it comes out a little bit higher SRM than originally anticipated. I tried to make one about 9SRM and it came out to about 12ish or so. Granted, you are using a herms system and shouldn't change the color, right? Also, as much as I have wanted to go with a single malt and a little crystal, I always enjoy using a little bit of rye or some flaked something to add with a little bit of smoothness and body. Rye is one of those flavors that adds some extra maltiness to me.

Good luck.

Thanks for the ideas... how much Rye?

Definitely keeping it simple.

At 7% the C60 has a caramel sweetness which will come through strong, I think, although the US-05 yeast will attenuate more than the English yeast I used in my IIPA which will dry it out more balancing toward the hops. You could use less crystal with a dark crystal like 90 which would make me more comfortable you won't overwhelm the hop character.

Mash temp is good for the yeast IMO. Hop bill will be excellent. I'd brew this with confidence it'd be a good beer as is. :mug:

need something to give it a touch of body and as a matter of preference I'd go with a lighter crystal.

I think I would add 1# of flaked barley if I was going to use that yeast for this beer. I would also boost your FWH to 2 oz. If you're gonna make DBL kill it with the hops! Remember a DBL is a BIG beer! Magnum is a good choice to complement the Amarillo, but you need to add some Amarillo. Magnum is one of those hops that will take over if you let it, and the FWH will get lost in that hop schedule if you don't add a little more. IMHO of course.
Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have about 9 pounds of hops and want to start using them. I see a lot of bigger beers coming my way.

Back