Slippery slope of equipment necessity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Tried the Mr. Beer-like kit for the wife's sake (sweet thing bought it after I mentioned I'd like to try home brewing). Realized the crap taste was due to old/inferior ingredients, tools and process.

Bought the proper fermenting equipment, buckets, better bottle, and quality extract kit and brewed my first batch using 16 qt pot I had.

I went out yesterday and bought a 30qt stainless pot to do 5 gal boil next batch and then realized that I can't use the 2 gallons of ice/cold water addition to cool the wort anymore.

Enter the immersion chiller. It's a good thing I like gadgets and DIY . I found that the most cost effective copper tubing is actually 1/4 OD at only $.60 a foot. I bought two 20 foot lengths and got to building. I made an outer coil at 10" diameter and an inner coil of 5" in diameter. The cold water will actually split before hitting each coil. I think the advantage to running two coils of smaller diameter tubing is that it subjects more surface area to more wort, spread out in the overall column of the pot. That is, I shouldn't have to stir the pot to expose isolated hot spots to the coil. Pics and cooling results to follow.

I don't even want to think about all grain brewing yet because it looks like a whole new level of equipment obsession. Ok, maybe I'll hold off for two more batches. I'm just glad I have an understanding wife.

Bobby

I have no idea what you are talking about...

If anyone complains about a couple dollars spent on a chiller just show them what my wife has had to tolerate!

29fd38f5.jpg

It's great, isn't it?

I've build an immersion chiller kinda like what you've described, I get to take it out for a spin this weekend. I lucked into two 25' lengths of 1/4 tubing at Home Depot that they sold me at the price of 10' lengths (since they couldn't figure out how much it was SUPPOSED to cost). So, I've got two coils, about a foot or so in diameter (coiled it around a paint can) that overlap in kind of a figure-8. Took a little while to get the split right, but I'm running a single hose it, which will split into each coil. Damn compression fittings I bought for the outlet side were the wrong size (I swear they must be metric), so I can't yet re-combine the flows, I'll just have two outflows of hot water instead of one.

But yeah, it's a matter of - just gotta buy one more thing and I'll be all set... big stockpot... now I need a cooler to make into a mash tun... now I need a turkey fryer to do a full boil... now I need the chiller... next will be kegging, which of course will require a second fridge... I don't think there's an end!

the_bird said:
I don't think there's an end!

Nope - I don't think so either. ...and if there was, I think I'd quickly get bored. One of the greatest things about this hobby is collecting all the stuff - even better when you make things. And no matter how far you take it, there is ALWAYS a next level - lol

Brewpastor said:

If anyone complains about a couple dollars spent on a chiller just show them what my wife has had to tolerate!

29fd38f5.jpg

That's quite a set-up. :mug: Yep any good hobby is just a more rewarding way of parting with your hard earned cash. I never get too excited about buying a month's worth of cell phone service but a new carboy cleaning brush - look out! :ban:

the_bird said:
It's great, isn't it?

Damn compression fittings I bought for the outlet side were the wrong size (I swear they must be metric), so I can't yet re-combine the flows, I'll just have two outflows of hot water instead of one.
!

I first tried crushing one end of a 3/8" coupling to accept the two 1/4 tubes then soldering it in. That is, a 1/2 ID rubber hose would clamp on nicely. However, the solder just doesn't like filling even small gaps. The new solution is to solder the two tubes next to each other, push the hose on and fill the gaps with some JB weld. Once it sets up, throw a clamp on it and you're good to go. I too was struggling at depot with all the compression fittings and Tees but decided it was more trouble than necessary. It's not like we're running any pressure.

Bobby

Brewpastor said:

29fd38f5.jpg

I have to ask though, is this your one big money draining hobby? I seem to always get into activities that require more money than the average part time commitment. Snow skiing, woodworking, SCUBA diving, etc. My wife once said, why don't you take up walking or jogging or something free like that? I thought, hmm, Pedometer with heart rate monitor and some new sneakers? Nah, I can't run and drink beer at the same time.

Bobby

I do woodworking, play golf, and have a 1977 MG Midget that seems to eat parts and gizmos, so ironically brewing is the cheapest for me so far.

I will say this though....I have not been doing much woodworking, other than house requirements, since I have been brewing. And, now that I am building up AG equipment, my spend rate has increased a bit, but that will be balanced out be cheaper ingredients, at least that is what I keep telling SWMBO :D

I know what you mean, I started 12 years ago on my stove. I then moved into the garage and did only partial mashes. I outgrew the garage and moved to the back yard, I took up the entire patio so I built a brewshed to hold all of my stuff. Im outgrowing the shed so some of my stuff is stored in my RV access....

Brewery-1.jpg

Shed2.jpg

Bobby_M said:
I have to ask though, is this your one big money draining hobby? I seem to always get into activities that require more money than the average part time commitment. Snow skiing, woodworking, SCUBA diving, etc. My wife once said, why don't you take up walking or jogging or something free like that? I thought, hmm, Pedometer with heart rate monitor and some new sneakers? Nah, I can't run and drink beer at the same time.

Bobby

Can't run and drink beer at the same time?!?:confused:

I respectfuly disagree.

You must have never heard of the Hash!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

On!On!

Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing doesn't even come close to encompassing one of the biggest joys of all for me. MORE GADGETS!

Supercharged chiller

Stir plate project

Grain mill project

Possible stainless conical project + brew closet

Not to mention several 5-7 gallon plastic fermenters, a 9 gallon brew pot, an outdoor propane setup, countless feet of vinyl/PVC tubing, measuring devices, computer software, MATH PROBLEMS?, more trips to the hardware store than I care to admit to...etc...etc...etc...

Off topic, but completely necessary-

Yuri-

Can you seriously bring that kettle to a boil on that range? That thing is a beast...
(the one in the superchiller pic)

TheJadedDog said:
I've only been at this for a month and already my apartment is filling up with beer related equipment...I think the wife's gonna cut me off soon.

If she threatens this, just remind her that she knows where you are and what you're doing while you are brewing.

pbowler said:
I have this

DSC02726.jpg

Which has this in it

DSC03335.jpg

'nuff said

VERY nice. Where'd ya get the engine? I know the E34's didn't have and option for V-12's. The M60 was the biggest engine available in those.

heh....it looks like an E34 in that pic. I guess because the trunk is chopped off it gave me that impression. Of course, now that I'm looking at it (sober), it does have the signature longer rear door the 7's have. I envy you a little. ONLY a little. Wouldn't want the gas bill for that hog with my heavy foot. My little rev happy 325 drinks more than I care to spend currently....but I enjoy it :)

If Brewpastor's garage is what's at the bottom of the slippery slope, can I get a pair of skis please? :D

Jester4176 said:
heh....it looks like an E34 in that pic. I guess because the trunk is chopped off it gave me that impression. Of course, now that I'm looking at it (sober), it does have the signature longer rear door the 7's have. I envy you a little. ONLY a little. Wouldn't want the gas bill for that hog with my heavy foot. My little rev happy 325 drinks more than I care to spend currently....but I enjoy it :)

Thats the catch 22 with BMW's, they are ALL (non-M) programmed with fuel economy in mind (my M70 gets 24mpg on the highway) but you can't drive the damn things that way!!!

What year is your 325?

this is pops E30 (88 325iC)
DSC03295.jpg

TheJadedDog said:
I've only been at this for a month and already my apartment is filling up with beer related equipment...I think the wife's gonna cut me off soon.
As long as you're being cut off it'll give you more time to brew...:D

Nice BMW. I had a 525 in Germany myself...or was that a 530?

That's a nice looking vert he has there. Mine's a 92 4 door. Non-VANOS. :) little over 210K miles on it and still running strong. I get 19-21mpg....regardless of whether I've set cruise at 60mph, or am bouncing off the redline all day. Just received my injectors in the mail, so I'll be having a fun weekend sometime soon. New injectors, plugs, and coil boots. Should notice a nice improvement in power and fuel economy. Then it'll just be finishing the rear suspension, then I'll be hitting the track with it on Thanksgiving weekend.

niiiice, these cars LOVE to run,
I feel bad for the Big Dog as it never really gets to stretch it's legs...

My car gets stretched on a daily basis. Once I turn onto the feeder road near work, I hold it to over 6500rpm before each shift. And I average 100-105mph once I hit the freeway. Not a real busy freeway, so I can easily merge onto it at that speed. I can rag the heck out of my car, and it just begs for more. Having the DINAN chip helps a little also. Took away that pesky 128mph governor. Makes for faster trips to the LHBS.

Back