What type of labels and software does everyone use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Adobe Photoshop CS3 - They take a PDF file to a printer and print off 6 on a sheet of paper. Use milk to attached the labels to the bottles. Color Copiers are better then color printers as the ink does not run at all.

3.9in by 3.25 per lable will get you 6 on a page.

Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Illustrator CS4, but those are VERY expensive (I'm a graphic designer by trade). Do a search for The Gimp. It's freeware that does most of the basic stuff that Photoshop does.

LOL - I spent $20 on CS3 and love it. OK OK - I split the $40 with another guy! I love Ebay. Sorry Chris.

Illustrator, Photoshop, color laser printer, labels attached with 3m spray adhesive... comes off in warm water.

Gimp, Inkscape and the Beta version of Avery DesignPRO for Mac.

Printed out, color copied, cut down then attached with a milk solution.

so then are you printing this on standard multipurpose copy paper?

I've printed labels on kinko's paper before. It's not the super cheap b/w copy stuff, but it ain't photo paper either.

Use a color laser printer, ink will run!

Photoshop can't be beat, it is pricey.. but it really is the best.

I use Macromedia Fireworks 2004 MX (now Adobe Fireworks). You can download older versions of the software for free from www.oldversion.com. It's only a trial version, but you have thirty days, and you'll get the chance to (1) crank out a label (because honestly, who can't finish the label in thirty days?) and (2) evaluate the software.

I print on a color laser printer, either at work, or at Kinkos. It's important to use laser, because ink will run when the bottle "sweats."

I prefer the feel of laser paper which, which used with a laser printer, makes the label feel glossy. Sometimes, for gifts, I'll use some sort of Avery Labels product, with the glue already stuck to the back. It actually does come off pretty easily of you soak it, but it's EXPENSIVE. For brews I'm keeping around the house, I'll just print on regular laser paper, and then adhere the label with milk that I brush on, or a glue stick. (If you're like me, you'll be skeptical of using milk, but I promise. . . everyone uses milk, and it's really pretty fool-proof.

So of course I have an ink printer at home. Does anyone know if you put the label on SD card if you can take it to Staples and print it off there?? When I was printing labels last night, the bleeding was AWFUL!!

I don't know how fancy you wanna get. I just use Micrsoft Word, set it up to print labels using Avery Labels #5264 (4" x 3.33"), and send it to an inkjet or laser printer. It works great as you've got a lot of font options, can import photos or graphics, etc.

I have been using MS Paint for ages, but recently downloaded Inkscape for free. Definitely try it if you are one of the more "non-graphic software literate" types like myself. I love Inkscape, and it is plenty powerful for creating labels for me.

Inkscape is cool. Several tutorials on youtube will teach you the basics.

I have downloaded Gimp. But, so far.... I just don't get it.:eek:

I'm sure the two together would make a powerful combo.

I use Photoshop and thanks to the tech department at work I got it for a gigantic discount.:rockin:

I've never heard of using milk to attach paper labels with. I've been using label paper printed on my color laser jet in the office. The label paper is way expensive and sometimes a real pain to get off of the bottle. Going to have to try the milk method with the next batch.

Gimp, Word for laying several out, and color copier with Milk.
I think I'd like to find something besides word for printing, I think thats where my color probs are coming from.

Gimp, Word for laying several out, and color copier with Milk.
I think I'd like to find something besides word for printing, I think thats where my color probs are coming from.

Do you print on standard paper? If so, just make one huge 8.5x11 image in gimp and print it from there, copy and paste the label over and over.

You'd have to scale it, but you're probably already doing that in word.

I make one 3.9x3.0 label and past it 6 times on a WORD sheet. Then make a PDF out of it and email it to Kinkos who. Then they color copy it.

Cut out the 6 images and "glue" them on a bottle with milk using a paint brush.

Labels float right off in water.

Yeah, thanks everyone... I used milk to attach the labels I posted over in my other thread and I've got to say that I was amazed at how well it worked!

Latest posts

Back