Lager With Flaked Rice and SF Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt57

Reaction score
Hello:
New to lagering. Followed a recipe from the net that included 1 pound of flaked rice in 5 gallon recipe. I put regular rice through my grinder and added it directly to the mash with the other ingredients. Learned later that I should have boiled the rice first. Is the batch ruined?

Also, have spent a long time researching the San Fransisco Lagering yeast and am a bit confused. I pitched it at 65 oC and kept that temperature throughout the fermentation phase which lasted three days. Now what? Some articles say to hold that temperature for 2 weeks then bottle. Others have various cool-down phases, normally stopping at 55 oC for two weeks, then down to 36 to 38 0C for three weeks, then up to 65 oC for a d-rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

You didn't ruin the beer! It's just that, uncooked, the rice wouldn't have converted and so may give you a bit of a starch haze and not brought anything to the beer.

As far as the SF lager yeast, it's a hybrid strain. You can definitely lager after fermentation if you want to, and I think it makes a crisper finish. You may especially want to lager if you have a starch haze, because lagering will help clear the beer.

You will want to hold at your fermentation temperature for at least 7-10 days, or at least for 3 days after the beer reaches FG. Also, that strain can produce diacetyl so you may want to consider raising the temperature at the tail end of primary (now) to encourage the yeast to clean up any diacetyl. After that, you can rack and lager if you'd like.

Back