CO2 loss troubleshooting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSUinDC

Reaction score
So, I have a basic 1 corny keg kegerator with a 5lb CO2 cannister and regulator.

The last 2 batches of beer I've had, the CO2 has ran out before finishing the 5 gallons of beer, which I understand is not normal at all. I've had the PSI around 10 for most of the time.

I tried to troubleshoot this by rubbing dishsoap on all of the lines, valves, o-rings, kegs, etc, but didn't find anything.

What should my next troubleshooting steps be? I don't have any beer in the pipleline because 1) this keg issue and 2) we just had a kid 5 months ago and I've been lazy as hell.

Someone once suggested that I put the whole system in a bathtub of water to look for leaks, but that seems not totally possible and a bit silly. How do you troubleshoot this?

Are you seating the keg o-rings when you first put it on gas by cranking the PSI up to about 30? That's the most common leakage point, and it is hard to find because it is typically a very slow leak. This should be the first thing you do with every new kegged beer.

When you checked for leaks with the dishsoap, did you do it at low PSI? You need to crank it up to about 40-50 when you are looking for leaks.

I agree to increase the pressure. What you can't hear at 10 psi, should be noticeable at 50psi.

Soapy water/Starsan will not indicate high pressure leaks. For the area between your bottle and the low-pressure side of your reg, the best way to find those is submersion.

Back