This is how amazing dry Notty is!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just made a 7gal batch of APA. Split into two 5gal carboys for fermentation. I made a simple starter using the good ol dry Nottingham ale yeast. Made the starter 1hr before my brew schedule started. Within 3hrs after adding everything to the fermenters I had a .5in Krausen and two days later it is at 3in and bubbling away. Why use anything else? Notty is the way to go!!

Well, I like Notty for a number of ales, even cream ales since fermented low it leaves a nice clean profile, but there are reasons to use other yeasts. For example, when brewing a style that requires the yeast to attenuate less, or when certain esters are preferred like banana and clove in a heffe, or a belgian yeast for a dubble. You just can't get some characteristics from Notty that other yeasts provide and are vital for brewing a beer to style, so you have to use other yeasts. If all you brew are APA's and IPA's, you can probably get away with Notty for everything though.

This topic caught my attention for a couple of reasons:

1) I used dry Notty to ferment a show mead (basic mead) and had I added the full compliment of honey or entered it as a light mead it might have made it past the second round. Great flavor for a simple mead and a potential show winner.

2) I have planned a 10 gallon recipe of English Pale Ale (The Strapping Numpty) that I intend to split into 4, 2.5 gallon batches and ferment the same wort with the following yeast:
  • Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) Yeast-Ale
  • English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale
  • Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale
  • London Ale (White Labs #WLP013) Yeast-Ale

I have been on the fence about replacing the WLP004 with Nottingham Ale yeast, because I want the data point and it's unlikely that WLP004 will make a decent pale ale. If I had unlimited budget, space and time I'd just try all 5 yeast and be done with it.

To contribute to the original question, the reason to use other yeast is flavor. All the yeast will contribute different flavors to whatever you are fermenting. I'm doing the above experiment to determine which yeast flavors go well with the wort flavors produced by The Strapping Numpty recipe.

Blah- I just used WY 1028 London Ale (half of a cake) for a 1.103 American Barleywine. It went from 1.103 to 1.022 in 6 days.

Ya I always do... It works great!! I am not saying that liquid specialty yeast do not have their places but I think that Notty is the most reliable yeast out there... Where others have let me down Notty has never done a bad ferment for me.

One of the main reasons I use dry yeast is so I don't have to make a starter.

Hah! In that case it's called "proofing" the yeast. Just to make sure it's alive. You can (although not recommended, YMMV) do this with expired liquid yeast and revive an out of date pitching tube. Not that I've ever done that ;)

you can have dead dry yeast... never had it, though. that's why i use it, and you don't have to starter it. instead of startering it, you can use 2 packs. notty is $1.60 here, and doing a starter would use that much dme, as well as the hassle

If you are splitting in to two fermenter then two separate packs with two separate starters with DME that is calculated into the recipe works well. I have found that If I do a proper starter 2-6hrs ahead of time then it cuts 2-3 days off of fermentation rather than pitching the yeast in the fermenter.

Back