My fermentation chamber build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyborgmexican

Reaction score
Hey everybody! I just built this puppy this morning. The fridge was a wine and beverage chiller with a thermostat built in. I origionally used it for Mr.Beer but its way too small for a 5 gallon bucket or carboy. I got the foam @ HomeDepot for 16 bucks. Regular clear tape was used to join the outer surfaces and Duct tape was used to seal the inner joints. This build took me less that 2 hours. Right now theres a sticky thermometer and submerged thermometer in there so I can get the temp right on the dial.

The door must be removed...
IMAGE_040.jpg

IMAGE_041.jpg

IMAGE_042.jpg

Sizing...
IMAGE_043.jpg

IMAGE_044.jpg

IMAGE_045.jpg

IMAGE_046.jpg

I added a bead around the lid to reduce leakage seeing there is no seal. I'm considering doing something similar around all the other joints but ill wait to see how well it maintains temp.
IMAGE_047.jpg

IMAGE_048.jpg

Guess I need to get a membership.

What's the range on the mini fridge's thermostat? Seems like this is ideal for small spaces like my &#*(@ apartment.

What's the range on the mini fridge's thermostat? Seems like this is ideal for small spaces like my &#*(@ apartment.

with the door on it can maintain anywhere from just below room temp, all the way down to about 36-38 im guessing. Beers on the top shelf would get colder than in the regular fridge. With that foam around it its maintaining 66* at about 3/4ths power.

On a side note I took the glass door, cut a hole in the top of the foam, and put the door over it so I can see in workout taking the cover off. My brewers best Wheat that I made yesterday is bubbling once a second after less than 24 hrs.

Interested to know what the wine chiller is able to get down to. Keep us posted and thanks for the pics.

Keep us posted as to how well it maintains fermenting temps.

Its been a smidge below 68* for a day straight now. The temp is very stable.

Interested to know what the wine chiller is able to get down to. Keep us posted and thanks for the pics.

with the door on it can maintain anywhere from just below room temp, all the way down to about 36-38 im guessing.

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=EWC16B D51744&source=fr
Not the exact same model but extremely close. I'm guessing its just a newer year.

Back