Sauces for Pulled Pork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
My mom has some church party coming up in a few weeks. I have been informed that her plan is that I am going to smoke a bunch of pork butts for pulled pork. I added my recommendation, get some regional BBQ sauce recipes, then everyone could try/enjoy BBQ from around the country. So share your favorite regional sauce recipe.

Columbia Gold Barbecue Sauce Recipe

Yield. About 4 1/2 cups. Click here to calculate how much you need and for tips on saucing strategies.
Preparation time. 30 minutes.

Ingredients
2 cups prepared yellow mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce or you favorite hot sauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules or 1 cube
2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I like the mustard style from Carolina. I think I'll try a vinegar based sauce on the next go 'round.

We used to have a restaurant called Kill Devil's that had, a sauce that I was told was North Carolina style, and it was great. Two_hearted, is that recipe considered North Carolina style?

We used to have a restaurant called Kill Devil's that had, a sauce that I was told was North Carolina style, and it was great. Two_hearted, is that recipe considered North Carolina style?

No that's south carolina. I want to try to North Carolina vinegar sauce.

This sauce is good for the sweet molasses people ( I also add a 1/2 cup balsamic to this recipe):
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kathys-award-winning-barbeque-sauce/

And also do a search for "White BBQ Sauce". it's a mayonnaise base with vinegar and horseradish. It's awesome on Chicken but rocks the Pork Butt as well. These can give you some interesting varieties! BTW the white sauce is more to the vinegar side for the NC people.

Oh and +1 on the Red Pepper and vinegar!

For pulled pork this has become the preferred sauce by most who have tried it. I even use it on bologna sandwiches. Yes it is that good. Not my creation it was created by a gentleman in Canada that lurks on a popular bbq forum. For reference and to give credit where credit is due here is a link to the recipe http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

Mustard Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For a smoother sauce, blend on high for a few minutes.

Shack Attack BBQ sauce

1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce (I use Frank's)
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Table Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French's)

Vinegar and Red Pepper Flakes. Period.

GPack nailed it.

A good basic: ketchup, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, a bit of salt, pepper, sugar, and some butter to thicken it up.

The only problem with it is that it'll steal the show from the flavor of a good butt.

This website is a huge resource for everything BBQ. He has many good recipes and techniques. I'm sure he has a good sauce recipe for you there. Check it out: www.amazingribs.com

Found this awhile ago on another forum and will always use it:

The Finishing Sauce I use is as follows:

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it disolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juiicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

I was noticing at the store today, there is not a single variety of mustard based sauce on the shelf, or vinegar red pepper sauce.

For the vinegar red pepper variety cider or white vinegar... I assume cider

Some really nice recipe suggestions from the HBT gang. Kudos!

Please remember that sauces are condiments, not ingredients. I always leave an assortment on the side for folks to choose as they desire. Preferable homemade, as I consider the mass-produced high fructose corn syrup-based products the BMC's of the BBQ world. :p

My fave, but i've never weighed out anything, just eye ball'd it:

1/2 c Ketchup
1/2 c Hoisen (asian plum sauce)
Following to taste:
Fish Sauce
1 orange zested and juiced
Chile sauce (Sriracha)
Sesame Oil

MMMMMMMMMMMMMyum

I smoked an awesome shoulder on Friday and tried white vinegar, red pepper flakes, sugar, s & p and a little hot sauce. Damn good.

Smoking the meat is finally over.

20 lbs Apple Wood Smoked
10 lbs Pecan Wood Smoked
10 lbs Hickory Wood Smoked.

I used this sauce on some pork ribs I made, and it was super!

Bourbon Barbecue Sauce

2 shots good quality bourbon
1 cup ketchup
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Coarse black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a low bubble. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

This recipe courtesy of Rachel Ray! I used a bit more garlic, and I grabbed my pepper grinder and just ground away until it tasted good!

glenn514:mug:

my version of East Carolina bbq sauce. use mccormick's rub overnight, then smoke with apple or cherry, plus a little hickory

1 part apple cider vinegar
1 part ketchup
1 part water
brown sugar
hot sauce (we use Frank's Chili & Lime)
plus some of the rub

5210063475_1007x545.ashx

71sJdVTvlIL._SL1500_.jpg

Vinegar and Red Pepper Flakes. Period.

lol...
no thanks. :drunk:

There is just not enough sweetness in pork to balance out that much sour and spicy. I have never understood Carolina BBQ and why there are so many homers when it comes to that unbalanced and acidic taste.

I personally rarely use sauce on my pork. Reheats or pork nachos are the most likely place to find me using sauce.

I do have it out for guests, but I am always shocked at how little sauce is used when I have people over.

Mine is closest to Grognerd's, great on pork, awsome on chicken legs.

sweet tangy and a touch of heat

1 part apple cider vinegar
1 part ketchup
1 part Louisiana hot sauce (I just use the $.99 stuff you get anywhere)
1 part brown sugar
add some of the rub you used on the meat, and some ground mustard powder.
heat and reduce it slightly and you're good to go.

I inject apple cider and water into the butt. Then I put a tray under the meat on a lower rack whole it smokes. This catches a nice juice.

Decant the fat and add some of that juice at pulling. I don't like vinegar because it makes the meat too mushy. My meat is already beautifully textured when it comes off of the smoker.

At a contest we inject our pork with a mixture of Agave Nectar and White Grape Juice plus a few extra secret ingredients. The acid in the grape Joyce balances out the sweet Agave nectar. The most important thing you can do is layer your favors.

Sometimes I make an Al Pastor marinade and then water it down to use it as a sauce for pulled pork. Fresh pineapple, achiote seeds, ancho and guajillo chiles, chipotles en adobo, onion, garlic, and vinegar.

Back